Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I dunno what to name this

NaomiF08 January 22nd

I don't know how to move forward. I've felt really terrible about my own body image for a long time, and i've kind of descended into a depressed slump. I kept trying to count my calories in a desperate attempt to bring my weight down but failing. I keep getting stressed about things and stress eating, and then feeling fat and disgusting. Finally, about 30 minutes ago, i did research on eating disorders, and i found two different online tests. I took them, and both said i have a severe Binge Eating Disorder. I just feel so sad and so stuck. It weighs down on me and i don't know what to do. I want to talk with my parents, but I feel so ashamed, and i don't want to hurt them. They are really kind, but we have been going through a lot lately, and I don't want to burden them with anything else. I just don't know

Heather225 January 26th

@NaomiF08

giving this a bump for you for folks with related experience to chime in!

calmTree3152 January 28th

THIS IS NOT PROFESSIONAL ADVICE I AM SPEAKING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

Hello! I don’t know if it’s the same case for you, but usually binge eating serves as a coping mechanism for a different underlying issue. Find out what you’re using food to cope with and try to move past or deal with that issue. Try to find different coping mechanisms to substitute this one. Do not! try cutting out food because it usually creates an opposite problem of not eating or skipping meals because you feel like you’ve had too much or purging, puking out the food, because you feel too guilty. Food is not your enemy! And reach out to the people around you, try and gather coping mechanisms of your friends and families, if they have any, to figure out your own. Diet culture and cutting on calories creates a loop of eating and feeling guilty about eating that gets really hard to break out of. Relationship with food should be one of happiness and sustenance, not of guilt.

I hope you figure it out and heal from whatever is troubling you and establish a healthy relationship with food and your body! Do not punish your body for what you’re going through, it deserves better and has done nothing to warrant your hate. Try to maintain a positive outlook when viewing yourself in the mirror and in photos and speaking positively about your self image and food. Fake it till you make it.