Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Gastric surgery

BestIcanbe October 10th, 2016

Well, I never thought I would ever even seriously consider this, let alone feel it was the only option left open to me. But I'm killing myself by over eating, and I think gastric surgery is my final option.

I wondered if anyone reading this has undergone this surgery, and how their experience has been? It terrifies me......both physically from pain, fear of hospitalisation, and never being 'normal' again. And mentally, from admitting defeat and feeling a failure. How have others coped with these factors?

I could write a tonne more, but I wonder if talking about surgery on this site is one of those topics that gets heavily edited. I've tried not to write anything too specific, so I hope this is left alone. And if you can offer any thoughts or support, please respond. I'm at a complete loss.

Mtude October 11th, 2016

@BestIcanbe

Hi, I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. My wife went through this surgery. I can only tell you about our experience and am not an expert. That said, you are not failure for wanting to improve yourself. You are actually doing something positive instead of just giving in. The surgery is not a guaranteed one stop fix solution, you have to embrace a life style change in order for it to work, so it's like a tool / part of the solution. As with any surgery there can be complications and you need to consider and discuss with your doctor accordingly. It's a long journey and sometimes not an easy one but through the process you may find various dedicated online groups where people in similar situations support each other which my wife felt was useful. The surgery affects people in different ways and for my wife it did initially work but then she put weight back on due to depression but has now joined slimming world and is starting to lose weight again. There is hope, you are not alone and I appreciate the sensitive nature of what you are going through but want you to know that it is ok, it's normal. It's a big decision not to be made lightly and it is sensible to seek out all information before going ahead. I'm just a member and not a listener but happy to chat further if you want. Good luck with your journey and keep strong and determined 😎