Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

BED Coping mechanisms *Possible trigger warning*

Jeta41 July 9th, 2017

I'm still very new to this eating disorder. I still haven't really wrapped my head around it. But I'm starting to notice a few of my triggers. For instance, stress is a big one for me. Makes me crave fried food and a lot of it. And when my self esteem starts bottoming out I crave sweets and once I start I can't stop. This is making me wonder what some of your triggers are?

As far as coping mechanisms, I don't have any. Could you share some of yours with me?

Good vibes and quick healing, friends.

Hysterria July 9th, 2017

Not just stress but specifically, work stress. For some reason, as soon as something bad happens, I find myself wanting to turn to food and the fact that I work in a bakery doesn't help either.

Also, my triggers aren't always negative and this is what really confused me for the longest time. We always perceive triggers to be bad things like work stress or a bad break-up. I've found that I'm triggered by the feeling of doing something good and wanting to celebrate. Aced my midterm? Let's celebrate! Worked hard and finished cleaning my apartment? Celebrate!

To stay away from all of this, I find I have to constantly keep myself in a routine and always, always, ALWAYS have "safe meals" prepped. I find as soon as I become unorganized and don't have a meal plan prepped for the day or at least an idea of what I'm going to do (especially for dinner time), that's when I'm triggered and I cave. And of course, one evening of binges turns into two, three, four days and then next thing you know, I'm a week into it.

So for me, triggers are basically any "extreme" emotion or energy, both positive and negative, that I need to let out.

Jeta41 OP July 12th, 2017

@Hysterria thank you so much for sharing! I totally understand the celebration trigger. I "reward" myself a lot for the silliest things. And I'll have to give the meal prep a try! Thank you again! Xo

Anomalia July 14th, 2017

@Hysterria - I think that's really insightful to understand that your triggers aren't always from negative emotions, sometimes they're from the celebration side! It sounds like meal planning has been really helpful for you in avoiding the binging cycle, but I wonder if there might also be things that could help you so that when you do slip and binge it doesn't turn into multiple days, like you said. How can you break out once you're there?

If you ever need any extra support, you're welcome to reach out - in the meantime, I'm sending hope and strength your way! <3

Hysterria July 14th, 2017

@Anomalia Thank-you so much, I'll keep that in mind. Discovering ways of NOT having one day turn into multiple binges is the current struggle. Sometimes, I find myself coming on here to talk to a listener as a distraction but it's hard to find a listener who is truly empathetic because it's so hard for others to understand if they have no experience themselves. I will totally hit you up on that offer for one of my hard days, thank-you!

Anomalia July 14th, 2017

@Jeta41 - I think identifying your triggers is an excellent place to start! In terms of coping mechanisms, I tend to think of them in a couple different categories.

The first are coping mechanisms to deal with the stress that is triggering the binge - things like mindfulness or meditation are helpful for some people, talking things out with someone, going for a walk, having a cup of tea, etc. - anything that tends to lower those stress levels.

The other set are coping mechanisms to deal with the urge to binge once it's there. One thing I tend to find really helpful is what I think of as the 20 minute rule (use whatever length of time works for you) - I give myself permission to do the behavior, but first I have to wait 20 minutes. Often that permission helps my mind calm down enough that I can use the 20 minutes to focus on something else - whether it's a distraction to not think about it, something to clear the stress, reminders of why I'm choosing recovery, finding a friend to sit with me through it, etc. There are times when the 20 minutes is up and the urge is still there, but other times that's just enough time to let things settle a little and to feel less of that need.

In general, I think that one other really important thing is how you think about progress on this - it can be tempting to feel that any binge means you've failed, but something that helped a lot in my ED recovery was changing that thinking to celebrating when I didn't act on an urge. Rather than starting from zero when you slip, all of the days that you didn't still count as days you were kind to your body and made progress to healing. Much like missing one day at the gym doesn't make your muscles all disappear and start again from zero, missing one day of recovery is a small set back, but your recovery muscles don't just disappear.

I believe in you! And I'm here if you want some extra support or to chat about it - I know eating disorders are hardest when you feel isolated and unable to talk about it. So, long message above (longer than I intended!), but good vibes are definitely on their way towards you and I wish you all the best! Stay strong - you're a warrior!

Jeta41 OP July 15th, 2017

@Anomalia oh wow thank you!!! All of that is so helpful /land thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it! I can't wait to try the 20 minute rule! Thank you so much for all the love!

undefinedPratik July 24th, 2017

Hello I'm new here but have had BED for awhile, what's helped me alot of times is first as mentioned giving a time to see if urge goes, also mentioned the safe meals, and having distractions when the urges occur, also a food diary of everything you eat including times and how you feel before during and after has helped me

For me Stress Boredom Tiredness and as a celebration occasionally causes a Binge, if more than 1 of the above is present at the same time I feel worse binge urge... hope this helps!

Anomalia July 24th, 2017

@undefinedPratik - Thanks for sharing what has helped you - I'm sure it will be helpful for others to see :)