Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Healthy Eating after Recovery

callmeconnor May 4th, 2019

Hey all, so I've been recovered from anorexia for about a year now, with a few minor lapses here and there. I want to start eating healthier and working out to get into better shape, but I'm not sure how to go about this without falling back into my disordered thinking and eating. Does anyone have any advice or things that worked for them?

EvilRegalsReadToo May 4th, 2019

Hi @callmeconnor. When I have been recovering (I'm not right now, but that's a discussion for another day) I have tried to look at what others were eating and tried to eat around the same amount. Helps me to decide what's "normal" to eat. You should, if you want to count calories, go after getting 2,000 calories a day, even though it may seems like a lot (150 calories is a lot for me).

Hope you can success with this, I believe in you! heart

chillocolate May 5th, 2019

@callmeconnor Hi! As someone who's experienced an eating disorder before, I think what worked best for me is leaving scales out of sight and upping your calories intake slowly. It might help to ask others not to make comments that trigger you (e.g. "You look healthier," "You gained weight," etc.). I'm so glad that you're recovering and I wish you luck!

callmeconnor OP May 6th, 2019

@chillocolate thanks for the reply <3 but I'm already eating normally and have been for about a year now, but my issue is that I want to start eating healthier and working out, not necessarily to lose weight, but just to get into better shape overall, and I'm worried that trying to do that will cause me to relapse with disordered eating.