Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I a Jerk?

brittsnowuh24 June 3rd, 2015

Okay, so this girl that I have to see everyday talks about calories and exercisearound me all of the time, even after I politely asked her not to because I was trying to recover from anorexia, and that triggered me a lot. So, she's actually now a former friend of mine, but before that I was getting annoyed because she still wouldn't stop talking about it, no matter how many times I asked her not to. At first, a mutual friend of ours supported me and said that what she was doing wasn't okay, but then after the second time I brought it up (also, telling her that I had lessened my eating again because of her) she told me that the other girl can't change her talking about something she's passionate about (the calories and such), but it's ultimately impacting me and my self esteem to a point where I am hurting my body. She's skinny and it makes me jealous because I was once that skinny when my anorexia was at my worst and now the two of them are ganging up on me saying that I need to get over it. So, I guess I'm the badperson, right?

ivebeenthinking June 3rd, 2015

no, they're just toxic people you should stay away from! everyone deserves to have people who care about them and they clearly are not fit for that! rock on!

brittsnowuh24 OP June 3rd, 2015

Thank you! You're the first person to ever support me with this, thank you so much <3

ivebeenthinking June 3rd, 2015

you're welcome sweetie

Ilovemycrab June 3rd, 2015

that's one thing I'm not understanding with this site. I guess it's supposed to be everything motivational and in some cases I guess it can be it's just a matter of convincing otherwise in some cases is not. I like my mother used to hate for people to tell her how skinny she was because she would try to eat and gain weight and couldn't her whole life because she had bad nerves. everybody's case and issues are different that's why I don't understand why you can't really express your thoughts on this site to a certain extent. but most people when somebody asked them several times not to do something out of respect they usually stop unless they have issues to uncontrollable word vomit

Anomalia June 3rd, 2015

You have done absolutely nothing wrong. You have every right to tell someone that their behavior is triggering to you and to ask them to alter it, at least when around you. If they are unable to censor themselves at all when around you, then they are not being real friends, and you deserve better.

I am so impressed with you for taking control of your own recovery and asking for what you need - I know that's not easy to do, and you are showing a lot of strength in seeking what you need and not allowing yourself to be treated that way. Stay strong, love, recovery is so worth all the struggle to get there!

brittsnowuh24 OP August 24th, 2015

That is the nicest thing I have ever heard in my life