Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Developmental Disabilities Discussion

AffyAvo March 21st, 2022

March 21 is Down Syndrome Day and all of March is Developmental Disabilities Month!

Developmental Disabilities (DD) are a diverse group of conditions that can affect physical, intellectual and emotional development. Many of these conditions are present at birth, although some can begin during childhood. They can have a fairly significant impact on day to day activities, but those with DD can be active participants in their communities.

I will add a question to this thread every other day. Feel free to join in!

Check out how to add yourself to the tag list in this post

@777Bre777 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @Averayne93 @Azalea98 @azuladragon34 @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Colorfulcatsofhope @considerateBunny7436 @considerateParadise6717 @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @IcedCoffee211109 @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @killaj0ule @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @OneErased @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @sabeyesofblue3535 @SmolBurrahobbit12 @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @sunshinegiraffe123 @TimidBear @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @WeedyGarden @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @Zed786

AffyAvo OP March 21st, 2022

Question 1. What are some examples of developmental disabilities?

Zoup March 22nd, 2022

@AffyAvo Autism, ID, learning disabilities, cerebral palsy, ADHD I think are some

AffyAvo OP March 24th, 2022

@Zoup Those are great examples!

MyNameIsNicole March 22nd, 2022

@AffyAvo

Down Syndrome :)

@MyNameIsNicole You just connected the 2 topics for us 😄

MyNameIsNicole March 24th, 2022

@AffyAvo

yes I know👀☺️

Question 2. Developmental disabilities can affect people very differently. How does living with a developmental disability affect your life?

For those who do not have a DD, if you know someone who does, how do you think it affects their life?

MyNameIsNicole March 24th, 2022

@AffyAvo

I don't have a developmental disability, but I imagine that it can make daily activities more tasking.

AffyAvo OP March 29th, 2022

Question 3.

Has anyone been disrespectful towards you because of your disability?

Or have you seen this occur towards others?

BenjaminLee23 September 19th, 2022

@AffyAvo

"Question 3.

Has anyone been disrespectful towards you because of your disability?

Or have you seen this occur towards others?"

(Autism) Many a time. Too often, that it's really disheartening and quite offensive. It isn't my fault that I have it! And it's generational too (my mom's side is quite strong) so I really can't do anything about it besides learn how to make sure my quirks don't do actual harm to something or someone (in whatever way that might possibly be).

A very close family member of mine gaslights me often into thinking that I am just simply a crazy person, and that I'm just attention-seeking. First of all, having these quirks makes me wanna hide myself already on its own - saying that I'm attention-seeking is just making matters worse... I would dig a hole into the ground to infinity!

BenjaminLee23 September 19th, 2022

Please add me