Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I don't know what to do.

OwlPal7604 March 28th, 2020

My 8year old daughter had a panic attack today. She's always been sensitive but never like this. I sat with her and listened while she listed off all of the changes in her life that are upsetting her. Being out of school (she's high ability), us being quarantined (due to possible exposure), family issues, the world problems, and she began hyperventilating and saying her chest hurt. Luckily I knew what it was. But I Never could have imagined my baby soaking up all of this info. I Never thought I'd see her at this age so distraught over such adult issues. 😭 So we prayed together but what else can I do? I'm not qualified to counsel a little one in this way.... am I?

Edited by FM CaringBrit moved to an appropiate subforum - checkins are for the weekly checkins forum team post

GuardianAngel77 March 28th, 2020

@OwlPal7604

I understand panic attacks!!!! And it can be horrible!!!! Yes children are very intune with everything. That's why people should be careful about what you are talking about and what you watch on TV. Yes in your situation you need to tell your daughter about what going on. But not to overwhelm her. Just reassure her. Do some fun things with her. Do some self care for her. Make sure she's getting enough sleep. Listening to calming music like birds singing or rain or the ocean ect. If she likes hot chocolate drink it. If she gets another panic attack have her do some deep breathing slowly. If she keeps getting panic attacks she should go to the doctor. I hope this helps you!!!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗♥️♥️♥️♥️!!!!

CaringBrit April 14th, 2020

@OwlPal7604 dont need to be qualified to listen active listening is what us listeners use