Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

IBS-M

WellsFiction July 4th

I was recently diagnosed with IBS-M. If anyone here has ever dealt with IBS or knows anything about it please leave a comment below. 

AffyAvo July 12th

M = mixed, had to look that one up as I was drawing a blank. I knew there was C and D plus one that was both but the term mixed wasn't clicking tonight.

I have a relative with IBS, fairly severely but I think hers is IBS-C. My GI system can be sensitive and we just sort of assumed I had some degree of IBS but I suspect now it's either other things or maybe really mild IBS on top of other issues.

If you can figure out problematic foods and any other triggers that can make it much easier to manage. Also, try to keep on top of nutritional deficiencies. Some can be caused by the IBS symptoms and some can affect the GI system more.

WellsFiction OP July 12th

@AffyAvo Absolutely. Thank you for the tips friend. Milk is one thing given me the most issues. I haven't drank any milk in days and feel much better.

AffyAvo July 14th

@WellsFiction That's great you figured something out and are feeling better! Hoping you're able to continue to manage it well!

WellsFiction OP July 17th

@AffyAvo Thanks so much. I feel a lot better today thankfully.

MistyMagic July 14th

@WellsFiction Hi there, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, especially M, that can be tricky to cope with. 

I recommend keeping a food and drink diary and writing down symptoms, that way you should be able to figure out any potential triggers, although with IBS-M sometimes a food can cause a problem but then another time it can help, it all depends on whether that time is C or D, so alternating.

Have the medical professionals ruled out other gut issues? 

WellsFiction OP July 14th

@MistyMagic Absolutely! No, not yet at least. I'm grateful I've learned this and can now continue to learn and grow to help my body and especially my mood. Thank you for commenting, Misty. I appreciate your help.

MistyMagic July 14th

@MistyMagic Oh I'll check this out. Thanks Misty.

funnyDrum5217 July 15th

As someone with it, I want to note that you need to track stress, not just food. I have a list of trigger foods for when I am stressed, and a list for when I'm not. Like, I can't have coffee ever. But I can have dairy unless I'm already in an ibs attack. Then, any further dairy just makes it worse.

Also, have a game plan for attacks. I'm not sure if this anyone else's experience, but my IBS has peaks and valleys of severity. Sometimes when I am dealing with an ibs-c attack, I will deliberately eat food that I know would trigger an IBS-d attack. So like, if I haven't pooped in five days I'll eat two meals of Lucky Charms in a row, because that normally triggers ibs-d. I COULD just take medication, but this works for me. It feels more controlled than medication.

Start to track warning signs. When I'm going to have an episode I get nauseated and have hot flashes. I also get shaky and weak. This is often noticeable before my first meal of the day so I can plan around it a bit.

MistyMagic July 16th

@funnyDrum5217  Oh!!!! thank you for adding that, I note that down without thinking and you are so right about using food as a medicine. Have you looked at the ingredients of Lucky Charms? They contain gelatine which I think is a laxative or can be used as one, and the colorings too?

My supermarket trips take for ever as I check every ingredient.

funnyDrum5217 July 16th

As someone who has been gluten free, look for apps for this to see if you can reduce your time in the store. You can also usually scope stock online. And I'm not sure what it is, because I had a short term obsession with the just marshmallows packages, and that took a lot more to trigger anything than the cereal form does. Increasing my fiber intake in general helped a lot, though I can't overdo it. (Being gluten free reduces a lot of sources of fiber, but when I started eating more gf toast and sandwiches I felt better overall.)

MistyMagic July 16th

@funnyDrum5217 As you say you are gf, I wonder about the oats in Lucky Charms as they can affect many coeliacs and give them problems, oats contain the protein avenin which is bio identical to gluten and can trigger those that are sensitive. Just a thought.

funnyDrum5217 July 17th

Darn. I'll have to look into it. I know that cereal wasn't always considered gluten free, but they say they are now.

MistyMagic July 18th

@funnyDrum5217 The problem with cereals is all about where they are growing and contaminants. It would be so easy for a gluten based cereal to sneak in and grow there, and also so easy for factories and packaging plants to have contaminants.
My son went through a phase of licking carpet and wallpaper  (eeek!) when he was a baby, then I researched and found out it that there was a gluten based glue and he was having withdrawal symptoms from being on a gluten free diet!  Other things like play doh ( a coloured, pliable, clay type manmade material that kids use to make things with) also had a high gluten content and school glue. It was a minefield but we got through it. I am just flagging this up so that we can all see that gluten may be hidden or in plain sight?

@funnyDrum5217 Thanks so much. Tracking the foods we eat and how they affect us is really important. I notice if I eat nuts after a meal it seems to help me go better. I've also started eating more glutton free products and that is Definity helping.

MistyMagic July 18th

@WellsFiction I wonder if it is the high fat and fibre content that is helping? 

Also what about probiotics? There are some that really can help with IBS and digestion symptoms, like this article explains Here

WellsFiction OP July 18th

@MistyMagic Yeah. I take some probiotics like yogurt. I also started drinking apple cider vinegar in the morning and that seems to be helpful a lot. Thank you Misty.

Tinywhisper11 July 16th

@WellsFiction hi sweetie sorry you suffer with ibs 😥 I know a few people who suffer from that, I hope the mess they give you will help control it. It's not one of the nicest illnesses, bless you 😥. I know it's not the same thing, but I'm paralysed from the waist down, so toilet issues are a problem. Gives you a giant tiny hug ❤if there's anything I can do to help, I'm just a message away.

@Tinywhisper11 Thank you so much, Tiny. It's a lot to deal with, yet I'm glad to finally be getting some answers. I've felt more than great the last few days which is really helpful. I've gotten back into exercising and meditation and that is super helpful. Plus I've purchased some make up products to brighten my mood. We are women and we can handle anything. Love you Lola. Have a fabulous day :)

Tinywhisper11 July 18th

@WellsFiction that's right we can handle anything ❤❤ it's just sad to know that you've struggled so much with illness already, and it isn't giving you a break😥 but yes shopping helps😁 shopping and ice cream... Oh wait can you eat icecream! If not shopping and more shopping😁 I love you ❤❤

MistyMagic July 18th

@Tinywhisper11 there are a few wonderful non dairy ice creams 

icecream-day.gif

Tinywhisper11 July 18th

@MistyMagic thankyou for sharing😁😁

Tinywhisper11 July 18th

@Tinywhisper11 

ice-cream-sundae.gif

WellsFiction OP July 18th

@Tinywhisper11 Oh yes. I can still eat ice cream. I like to add fruit like strawberry or blueberries into it. Thank you sister. I can feel your presence on my heart :)

Tinywhisper11 July 19th

@WellsFiction 

one-tree-hill-ice-cream.gif

enigmaticOcean8813 July 22nd

One of the IBS triggers for me are tomato-based foods.  Even though a tomato is supposed to be a good FODMAP diet food for IBS, I have found that the FODMAP theory as espoused by my GI doctor is not perfect. That is probably because stress plays such an important role.

I think it was @Misty who wrote earlier to keep a log - I think of both foods and potential triggers.

For me, the FODMAP diet and 10mg dicyclomine 3/day just don't work, but I think the IBS is swymptomatic of another insidious problem.