Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

i think i have a learning disability

genmaicha78 April 3rd, 2023

sometimes when i try to learn things i won't be able to understand it properly and it feels like "understanding" is under a glass wall i can't get into.

how do others live with their learning disabilities? what therapies are used? do you know if theres a name for difficulties like mine? its not dyslexia and i dont know if its any of the others dys- ones, its more abstract and applies across different areas of learning

i didn't know that my struggling wasnt normal for most of my life but now i want to learn about it.

toughTiger6481 April 4th, 2023

@genmaicha78

Do you know your learning style......

some people for example are very visual learners or need a hands on type demonstration to get something .... others can read instructions and see it clearly from just instructions. .........

i find i am a combo

sometimes something that seems so easy for others....... i do not get it and other things i am confused why some people do not see it right off....

i think people who are open about their learning style will say " can you explain it differently or SHOW me , I am a visual learner " have overcome items where they really did not get something but went along like they did. if just changing style of more visual if you need it or even have a concept presented differently you can narrow down what works and feel relieved that you just learn differently

genmaicha78 OP April 7th, 2023

@toughTiger6481

thank you for your response! :) i was worried nobody would reply...

well, i know i'm definitely not the type to understand based on instructions alone >_<

LakeLureLocal April 7th, 2023

Nah bro, you’re not the only one. It annoys me too, and that analogy is perfect. Dyslexia(reading), dyscalculia(math/numbers), dysgraphia(writing), dysphasia(language), and dysorthographia(spelling) are the main dys-orders. Bad pun, sorry. I don't use therapies, so I can’t help ya there. However, in K-12 schools you can get IEPs, and in both K-12 and university you can get 504 plans. This is in the US, and I don’t know where ya live, but if you reside in the 50 nifty states, try getting an IEP or 504 plan. It helps tremendously. If you want a buddy who shares similar struggles, a friend to talk to, or someone to discuss IEPs/504s with, PM me and I’ll be there.

-L.L.L

genmaicha78 OP April 11th, 2023

@LakeLureLocal

wow thank you for your reply :)

the only catch is, i don't know how to PM people on this site lol; >_< maybe one of us needs a listener account or maybe it's a mobile-only thing, those are my two guesses.

if we can figure that out, you seem like the kind of person i'd love to talk to :D