Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What if I don't feel "sick enough" to be considered chronically ill?

myaekingheart July 19th, 2019

I've been living with IBS since about 2013/2014, and only just got an official diagnosis in January. Logically I am well aware that IBS is a chronic condition and something I am going to have to deal with for the rest of my life, and that it's caused me a lot of severe pain and trouble over the years (including losing lots of weight and feeling terrified of eating because everything I'd eat in a given period of time made me insanely sick) and yet somehow I still don't feel like I'm sick enough to be allowed to call myself chronically ill. Does anyone else struggle with feelings like this? Or am I really not sick enough to be allowed to call myself chronically ill?

AffyAvo July 19th, 2019

I think many people question if their illness or impairment 'counts'.

Maybe you don't want to think of yourself as being chronically ill, and if that's the case that's ok. IBS is a chronic illness though and you're living with that, even if you feel quite well at times. Illness shouldn't be a competition, although sometimes within circles people do get in the trap of 'one upping' one another when it comes to severity and symptoms.

This article focuses moreso on the mobility aspect rather than illness, but I think it's still quite relevant

https://www.folio.ca/the-decomposition-of-a-recovering-paralympian/

involuntaristua July 19th, 2019

@myaekingheart Congratulations on obtaining your diagnosis! I remained undiagnosed for several years until I was clinically diagnosed with a form of titinopathy, or titin-related muscular dystrophy. I still am not confirmed with a subtype yet! Right now, my muscles have not degenerated to the point that others would notice.

What matters is you- you are the most important person. If you are suffering and you know you have a disability, that's all it matters. I knew that I was sick, but others often said that I was cured or gotten better. I hope you are doing ok.