Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Lonely and Constantly Seeking Relationships

CausticAL17 March 29th, 2019

Hi, I'm Quinton. I'm 18 and I can't stop feeling so very lonely all the time. I feel this pit of absence in my life that's no one to hold or be physical with, but also nobody to love and who loves me. It's ruining my school life, and my friendships, and driving people away, and it makes me hate myself. I don't know what to do. I'm in therapy but struggling to change. Sometimes I feel like I'm barely trying and it makes me feel guilty. Sometimes I think about dying. I just want this horrible obsession with female attention to end..

WalkerOfTheHealingHand December 19th, 2019

@CausticAL17

I.know the feeling. I ho through phases where I think attention is attention, and attention is good. However, that has led me to entertaining bad attention, which doesn't honor me or my own self-worth.

Did anything happen in your youth where you feel rejected by or abandoned by a female figure? Maybe you're seeking her acceptance?

In my healthier moments, I've had to remind myself that I deserve good attention, not bad attention. I've also done some work on self-acceptance, because I'm the only person that has to accept me as I am. I don't know if this is of any help or not, but I offer it, all the same.

Happy Healing!

megannicole1313 May 4th, 2020

@CausticAL17 yeah I'm the same way. I feel like I'm the toxic person in every relationship. On one hand I want all of the attention but then I also want to be left alone because I drive people away.

sensitiveSugar8860 April 1st, 2019

@CausticAL17 I know exactly how you feel because I've been going through the same thing for 4 years now. You can't seem to truly feel happy unless you have someone to be happy with and to share your love. Sometimes it feels like your emotions are overflowing in your chest, right?

I can't tell you that I've found a solution, because I refuse to lie. But there are ways for people like us to lighten the burden our emotions place on our shoulders:
Personally, I've taken up writing when I'm in times of need or great stress. I started with a journal where I wrote down my unfiltered thoughts and emotions (usually late at night when my family was sleeping, so noone would disturb me). Eventually I thought of a way to help me visualise what's going on and I wrote a story using those pictures in my mind (I can't draw for the life of me, otherwise it would have been a comic)

The concept in my story is that emotions are manifested as cubes colored according to what you're feeling. The colors can be whatever you associate with the corresponding emotion but I used Blue for Hope, green for Happiness, red for love etc. I also use black cubes in my story. Noone else can see them, but they're around me/you, they whisper and pile up until the whisper is a scream and it seems to drown out everything else. Maybe the black cubes are neglected red ones? Maybe they're just the feeling of depression and anxiety? You'll have to choose what makes more sense to you if you wish to see things using my metaphor. But if you don't feel like you can write as well as you'd need to, perhaps you can draw or sing or play an instrument. Anything to channel that pressure inside of you and give it some other form. It won't make it all go away, but it might help you understand your feelings a bit more. And over time you might open up to a person or two and when you do, you'll slowly build up a safety net for when things get really bad. I have two or three people by now who I know I can say everything to and they'll support me. Things are bad right now, but it'll work out, ok? If they wouldn't, I wouldn't be around to tell you this...

What I'm getting at is there are different ways for people like us to try and understand and express our feelings. I know that often it seems like only someone else can save us. But please trust me on this: if you go down my path and convince yourself that you can't help yourself, the next years of your life are going to be very difficult...

Antoniette12 May 2nd, 2020

I have several emotional wounds that need healing. But I still find myself looking for "the one". Funny thing I don't even know what I'm looking for. I'm blind folded, digging in a barrel and every object I pull out I hope it's what I've been looking for. I woke up saw something that triggered my anxiety. I have separated myself from people except for one person, so I can heal. But now thinking I need to separate myself completely. From everyone. I don't know what to do. I'll be in happy mood and then Ill see something that change my mood instantly. I don't want people to change my emotions. I just want to be happy internally and externally