Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you cope with your parents who make your depression worse?

etherealsunflower March 4th, 2021

I’ve really been struggling with my depression. My parents don’t notice or deny that I’m depressed. In fact, they’re harder on me when they notice how I am now. They’re pushing me past my limit and I’m not sure how to cope with it. Does anyone have advice?

Ahlex March 4th, 2021

@etherealsunflower

Every parent is different and a lot of times their methods won't click with their kids. Especially older generations. The best thing you can do is openly communicate with them about how it makes you feel and try to get them to understand. In some cases that won't happen unfortunately and there isn't much you can do.

gayyvodka March 4th, 2021

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Honestly, the best thing to do is to talk to them about it. Tell them that sometimes you can't deal with the amount of pressure they put on you. Tell them that you are trying really hard to be better and that you did not choose to have a mental illness. It is completely out of anyone's control. I hope you get better :))

practicalStrawberries2858 March 6th, 2021

Yeah I understand that, my parents never notice my depression and when I feel sad I’m expected to look happy. So what I would do is talk to one of your close friends and just vent or have them acknowledge your depression. : )

fairmindedShade219 March 6th, 2021

I feel the same way too. My parents won't let me get therapy and the only way to cope with my depression somehow is to talk to people on this platform. I feel so alienated from everyone around me, and I keep on comparing my life to others, I'm never comfortable in my own skin. I know that you will find a way to get through this and stay strong!