Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Benefits of Relaxation for Coping with Depression

HealingTalk August 15th, 2023

This post is part of the Relaxation Day” Event by the Depression Support Community.

See the Event Masterpost by clicking HERE

relax-1_1692063258.jpg

In today's fast-paced and stressful world, depression has become a common mental health issue. It affects millions of people like us worldwide. While there are many treatments available for depression, relaxation techniques have emerged as an effective and accessible method of coping with it.

Given the global and widespread prevalence of depression, it is crucial to find affordable ways to treat it. Like regular exercise, exposure to sunlight, taking advantage of all the supportive places and activities that 7 Cups offers, and… Yes! Relaxation!

Benefits of Relaxation for Coping with Depression

Reducing Stress and Anxiety

Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, and progressive muscle relaxation have been proven to reduce stress and anxiety levels. When someone is overwhelmed by depression, their body releases stress hormones that further exacerbate their condition. By engaging in relaxation practices, we can activate our body's natural relaxation response, leading to a decrease in stress hormones and a sense of calmness.

Enhancing Emotional Well-being

Depression often causes us to experience a range of negative emotions such as sadness, anger, and frustration. Practicing relaxation techniques can help regulate these emotions and improve emotional well-being. Meditation, for example, encourages us to observe our thoughts and emotions without judgment, creating a sense of detachment from negative feelings. This detachment allows for greater emotional balance and resilience in the face of depression.

Improving Sleep Patterns

One of the common symptoms of depression is disrupted sleep patterns. We may struggle with insomnia or excessive sleeping, both of which further worsen our condition. Relaxation techniques promote better sleep by calming the mind and body, thus improving sleep quality and regulating sleep-wake cycles. Creating a consistent relaxation routine before bedtime can contribute to better sleep hygiene, which is essential for individuals coping with depression.

Boosting Self-care and Self-compassion

Depression often leads us to neglect self-care and practice self-criticism. Engaging in relaxation techniques encourages self-care and self-compassion. By dedicating time to relaxation, we prioritize our mental and physical well-being, nurturing ouselves in the process. This act of self-compassion can foster a more positive self-image and improve self-esteem, both of which are vital for coping with depression.

Conclusion

In conclusion, relaxation techniques offer numerous benefits for coping with depression. From reducing stress and anxiety to enhancing emotional well-being, improving sleep patterns, and boosting self-care and self-compassion, relaxation might play an important role in managing depression. By incorporating relaxation techniques into our daily routine, we can find solace and support on our healing journey. Anyone struggling with depression might recognize the importance of relaxation. For taking advantage of its benefits, it is crucial that we tailor a relaxation plan to fit our unique needs.

Questions:

• What helps you relax?

• Does relaxing help you cope with depression?

To receive notifications, press HERE to add yourself to our taglist

Learn HERE how to join the Depression Support team. We welcome you with open arms!

Tagging taglist subscribers: [phantom-tagged DS taglist]

jasishereforallofu August 15th, 2023

@HealingTalk

Relaxing with asmr sounds is my ultimate pleasure.🌼💟

HealingTalk OP August 15th, 2023

@jasmineishereforu

Thank you, Jasmine!

Great contribution!

ASRM audios are great for relaxation.

ASRM has become an artform, really.

They catch your attention and captivate you with their intriguing, exquisite and gentle sounds. And then, put you in a relaxed, almost hypnotic state. Soo calming!

You pointed to a must in our relaxation toolbox, which many people don't know.

For those who might have never tried it yet, here is a list of some of the best ASRM Youtube channels for you to try: https://manofmany.com/entertainment/best-asmr-artists-channels

Thank you again, Jas!

You are loved here!

Gettingbettertoday August 15th, 2023

@jasmineishereforu

I get the exact opposite from ASMR.

Although i like quiet, ASMR actually makes me wound up.

HealingTalk OP August 16th, 2023

@Gettingbettertoday

Sure!

Different people might have very different, even opposite reactions to the same stimuli.

I had a similar issue with my ex.

Slow instrumental music, which calms me down a lot, irritated her much. Like "How boring and unpleasant is this! Please, turn it off!"

Thank you for coming here to share your thoughts!

Taylorvoga12605 August 16th, 2023

@HealingTalk

Well, there are quite a few things that help me relax. But at the moment, ASMR, stand-up comedy and music has been on the top of the list.

@Taylorvoga12605

What a great combination!

ASRM to put you in that calm, almost hypnotic state, standup to get some good laughs (laughing is great for releasing stress and promoting a good mood), and music, which is so powerful and versatile, as the style, tone, rhythm, etc of the music we choose might induce specific emotional states. Certain music has a powerful relaxing effect.

Thank you for coming here to share your thoughts!

PianoMat August 16th, 2023

Playing music relaxes me, especially when working on articulation and phrasing. I get into this focused zone where nothing of the outside world bothers me. 🎹

@PianoMat

How wonderful!

Working on interpretation, when your fingers already "hit the right keys the right way" by themselves, you know and remember the piece, so you can focus on the music itself, beyond technical stuff...

That must be an amazing feeling!

You become the music yourself...

SuperChuckle August 16th, 2023

@HealingTalk

How we understand our problems has an effect on how we cope. Our interpretation of the problems is influenced by thoughts (beliefs, images, memories), moods, behaviors, physical reactions, and environment (past and present).

Hope this helps.

@zinglady

Absolutely!

Going to the topic of this thread, a relaxed, calm state might make us feel and interpret things very differently (better hopefully) than if we are stressed out, tense and exhausted.

We might achieve this relaxed state by applying some relaxation techniques, and thus improve our mood and our understanding of our issues.

This is one of many paths we might take to cope (for example our thoughts and rational analysis might help us relax and improve our mood too. Things like journaling, or writing down and challenging negative beliefs) .

Thank you for coming here to share your thoughts, and for your valuable contribution!

crispRabbit51 August 16th, 2023

@HealingTalk Sometimes music really helps me to calm my mind whenever i am kinda stressed music really helps me a lot.

HealingTalk OP August 17th, 2023

@crispRabbit51

Hi, Rabbit!

It also works wonders for me.

Music is such a good investment of your time!

With very little effort, you might get a lot of enjoyment and relaxation.

Best cost-benefit ratio of any activity, I guess.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

All the best!

Marcelo

purpleSea7109 August 17th, 2023

It makes you feel I do not know how to explain.

I am just a click away.Xx

HealingTalk OP August 18th, 2023

@purpleSea7109

Thank you for your supportive attitude, PurpleSea!

I encourage you to browse the Depression Support Community forum and answer threads by members with supportive posts like yours here.

See you in the Forums!

All the best!

Marcelo.