Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Summer Depression??

ThaikkudamBridge April 9th, 2016

I Feel normal and Often Positive about life during Rainy Season, but Depressed during summer? Is this Depression ?

Inspire1965 April 10th, 2016

@ThaikkudamBridgeThat is so much like me! I never found someone with this problwm before. Do you have social anxiety or do crowds or lots of activity make you uncomfortable? This is why I do better in winter or on rainy days. Fewer people around stressing me out. The whole world is out in summer and that frenetic energy makes me feel like crawling into bed for a season-long recovery.

ThaikkudamBridge OP April 10th, 2016

@Inspire1965

I don't like being around a lot of people too... I remain indoors all the time, irrespective of weather. So I don't think that's the reason for how I feel.

Husain7 April 10th, 2016

@ThaikkudamBridge I thinks that's just cause of introvertness? That's perfectly normal.some people rather find peace in it. :)

@Husain7

Yeah.. I feel lonely sometimes. I kinda wish for a best friend. A good friend is better than many friends...

reliableTiger1572 August 2nd, 2016

Hi I also struggle with depression alot during the summer and find it easier in winter

BlueButterfly4 July 8th, 2017

@ThaikkudamBridge

Did you know that the number of suicides increase during the Summer? Yep, it's after all the most depressing season for some. You have the weather change, the heat, the sun for those who don't like to go out. You have riskier behavior and more loneliness.

sweetDeer70 April 9th, 2016

@ThaikkudamBridge

have u considered looking at seasonal affective disorder? this is where the mood changes due to the weather.

I have this, so any questions feel free to message me

@sweetDeer70

Okay, Thanks.. I did search about SAD. It seems to be the opposite: Depressed in summer. I'll PM You :)

mimameid April 9th, 2016

@ThaikkudamBridge Yes there was one summer where I had depression very badly. However, I believe it was mostly caused by me not being able to get a job and mostly having to sit around the house all day long.

Thank you @mimameid . I'm not in any sort of problem to feel depressed which makes me think it's something else.

mimameid April 10th, 2016

@ThaikkudamBridge Well, sometimes people can have depression without any obvious or known cause. Even people who have seemingly great, stable lives can be depressed. But if you say it has only been happening in the summer, it could just be a seasonal depression, like the previous commenter suggested.

Jerryed8 April 10th, 2016

@iamsomeone please don't feel like that!

Husain7 April 10th, 2016

@iamsomeone hey @iamsomeone..you aren't "someone",you are "THE ONE"! COME ON CHEER UP! :)

RozesThorn June 14th, 2016

Just a thought because Iknow my depression gets really dark during the summer. I don't have my kid during the summer so I find myself not leaving my house. Meaning I am getting less sun then I do other seasons. It is too hot to leave my AC. Could this be the case? Summer just happens to be the season you see less sun? Also, talk to your dr about taking vitamins to help. They found Vit D helps... but do see a dr as it can effect other meds.

Ady23 March 28th, 2017

It is possible to be diagnosed with seasonal affect disorder for summer depression. It is more rare then those who become depressed in winter months, but can still be considered depression. hope this helps. :)

greenEyes2019 April 26th, 2017

@ThaikkudamBridge,

My psychologist told me about one of their former patients who would get irritated and socially anxious every spring. Everything would get on the patient's nerves: the birds singing, the sun, fresh spring air, etc. But within the treatment, something changed, and the patient could function normally in spring for the first time.

So I guess it is possible to get all those symptoms you've mentioned during those seasons that most people would find the most "happy" and "relaxing".

But I can feel you, I've also never been a fan of summertime myself, and I understand how one can observe depression symptoms increase at the time.

I hope there is always someone you can turn to in order to get help.

All the best <3

MyDreamIsToBeANeurobiologist April 28th, 2017

Summer depression is a normal thing! Everyone has his/hers kind of weather, and it seems like you prefer rain. It's totally OK! Just remember- if at any point you feel really depressed, you can always talk to us. You're not alone- look at this community! And here's another good thing- it's raining in summer, too! :)

miraculousLove88 April 28th, 2017

@ThaikkudamBridge

there is something called Seasonal affective disorder "SAD" during which the persn feel moody and depressed during change of weather, commonly it occurs during early fall and winter , but some people have the opposite thing and feel depression during early spring and summer , it is a well known disorder and affects many people, you do no have to scared or freaking, we are all here to support you and make you feel good . No need to feel that you are odd or strange, it is okay to have such feelings ❤️❤️

honestLime3565 October 29th, 2017

Usually SAD affects me in the colder months but this year it hit me in the summer. It's odd but maybe now it's over with because I'm finding myself getting excited about things like holidays & snow & things like that.