Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Favorite apps to manage depression and mental health

electricLove3 January 30th, 2015

Hello, friends!

I have a love for goal setting, but when I am really struggling, my goals and tasks on my to-do list seem to go down the drain. To keep me motivated, I have found that there are a few really great apps that help me to keep up my good habits. One of my favorites is Balanced, which allows me to pick a few habits that I want to build/maintain and set the frequency for how many times I want to complete the task. (For example, I have been trying to get into the habit of meditating, so one of my tasks is "Meditate 4x a week.") It sends you reminder updates to tell you that you should be thinking about completing the task soon, and you can monitor your progress over time. Ithas really been a good motivator for me,helpingme to stay on track and accountable.

What are some of your favorite apps for managing your mental health?

Gemma8483 January 31st, 2015

I use habitrpg which is also online and its a productivity tool that turns your life into a game! You earn coins and experience by completing tasksand lose health if you don't.There's also 30/30 which is a series of timers that you can set so that you spend a certain amount of time on one thing and then it moves on to the next and loops around. Unstuck is great for when I find myself not being able to accomplish a goal, as it helps figure out why that is! And finally I use mynoisefor meditation background sounds:)

electricLove3 OP January 31st, 2015

I love 30/30 and Unstuck, too! I am going to have to try habitrpg. Anything thathas rewards and makes a game out of completing my to-do list sounds pretty awesome! Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions!

easyTortoise20 January 31st, 2015

Thanks for sharing..the info is greatly appreciated.

pleasebehappyweloveyou February 1st, 2015

An app I like is Talk Life, where you can post comments and other users can reply. It gives me the support I need to get through some days, and I've met a lot of nice people on it.

Elle22 February 1st, 2015

If you are looking to get into the habit of meditating, then Headspace is a great website/app! I think it makes meditation very accessible in ways I have not experienced with other programs.

electricLove3 OP February 1st, 2015

Thanks for the great recommendation! I tried a few of the free trial sessions in the introduction pack, and I LOVED it. Ihave heard really good things about Headspace's subscriptions, but I couldn't afford the yearly subscription when I looked into it awhile ago. Those sessions were so wonderful and Andy's voice was verycalming, so Imay have to save up for that! :) Ihave startedusing Smiling Mind recently, and it has been really helpful, especially when I only have a few minutes to meditate or am feeling drained after a long day.

electricLove3 OP February 3rd, 2015

Thank you for the wonderful recommendations! Pzizz sounds fantastic; I will have to try that on the nights when sleep seems impossible. I sometimes use YouTube videos with gamma/delta/theta beats and white noise, but it would be great to have a go-to app that can do all of that for me. I am definitely going to check out Sprints, too. Thanks, GentleMom! :)

electricLove3 OP February 4th, 2015

Oh, that is a really great idea to use it during long trips for a restful night's sleep! I have traveled on the Amtrak and Megabusmany times, and getting a healthy amount of sleep is nearly impossible for me. (Everything wakes me up easily!) I will have to try the appduring my next trip! That is so nice that it is offered for free now, too. Hooray for accessible, affordable apps that help mental health!

Fences February 4th, 2015

Thank you for all the recommendations in this thread! Excellent suggestions.