Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

10 Ways to Get Through the Day When You

Jenna October 25th, 2017

When depression strikes, it takes a huge toll on you. You might find that you dont want to get out of bed or have any patience to deal with the world. You also express apathy towards the things that used to motivate or make you happy. And yet, despite feeling like your life is stuck in reverse, youre still aware that the show must go on. Psych2Go shares with you 10 ways to get through the day when youre depressed:

1. Stay clean.

You might have no motivation to take care of your personal hygiene, but cleaning yourself will make you feel refreshed. If standing in the shower seems too much, you can always opt to soak in a warm bath. Washing your hair will also make your head feel lighter from the oils that build up and brushing your teeth empties your mouth of bacteria that may cause bigger problems in the future that make you feel even worse.

2. Put on clothes that make you feel good about yourself.

Wear something that makes you feel confident in your own skin, whether that translates to loose and comfortable, or something more done-up and professional —whichever style that that allows you to feel most comfortable in your own skin. Avoid anything too itchy or restricting. When you can move more easily in the clothes that you wear, they encourage you to move along, too.

3. Stay hydrated and eat healthy.

If you find your appetite has decreased from feeling depressed, at least eat some light healthy snacks. Some energy is better than no energy at all. When your body is deprived of nutrition, itll only shut down even further. Drinking plenty of fluids and eating well can help boost your mood. For example, although it might feel great getting immediate energy from junk food, sweets, and soda, once the rush you feel in your bloodline crashes, it will cause you to feel even more sluggish and lethargic throughout the day. Swap your sweet drinks for water and a box of Oreos for some fresh fruit. Eating more fresh, natural foods instead of processed foods will also help you digest better and this especially works in your favor, too, if you consider yourself a highly sensitive person (HSP), because you may have a more sensitive digestive tract.

4. Let fresh air into your home and go out for a walk.

Crack open a window to get rid of the stale air inside that makes you feel stagnant. Go out for a walk as well and be with nature. Its therapeutic and wakes your brain up, making you feel rejuvenated. If its not too hot or cold, feel free to take your shoes off as well and walk barefoot on the ground. This will heighten your senses and make you feel even closer to nature. Touch is a powerful tool, especially in times when you feel troubled and are seeking for some solace. It will also help you focus and stay in the present better without averting your attention to your problems.

5. Journal before you go to bed.

This helps you put your thoughts down instead of letting them hang over your head the next morning. Depression feels heavy, so when youre able to let go of some of the emotional baggage thats still festering up inside of you, youre releasing a lot of that negativity and turning it into a productive project.

6. Let your friends, family, or someone you trust know how you feel.

Tell them that you might need time to get yourself back together again. That way, they can give you space while still acting as a support system you can lean on. Just knowing that there are people you can count on can motivate you to find something worth holding onto that keeps you going.

7. Plan your tasks in small increments rather than trying to do everything all at once.

Create a to-do list and map out your tasks you need to complete for the day. Make sure that theyre all evenly spaced out as much as possible so that you dont feel overwhelmed trying to multi-task. Chunking is an effective way to break up a busy day into healthy increments that seems less daunting and easier to tackle.

8. Indulge in your favorite form of escapism.

Treat yourself to your favorite ice cream or spend time listening to your favorite music album. When life gets hard, its okay to retreat and distract yourself with the little things in life. Letting yourself to escape every once in a while allows you to come back more clear-headed rather than overwhelmed by reality every second of the day.

9. Take a break from social media.

By disconnecting for a while, youre not so focused on the external world. This can help you remove yourself from the glamors advertised by others and help you focus on yourself and what your own needs are at the moment. You learn to separate your own pace from someone elses.

10. Be kind to yourself.

Realize that youre human and that you dont have to have it all together. Your feelings are valid, even the bad ones. Allow yourself to cry, vent, or scream when you need to. Denying any part of yourself means hindering your ability to get better.

Do these tips work for you? Leave a comment down below!

credit [x]

Mango3 October 25th, 2017

@Jenna Thank you for the wonderful post. I have to agree all these things work to help me feel better, it does not always go as plan but most of the time.wink For me to outdoors help a lot.

Understandinggirl1990 October 25th, 2017

Thank you for sharing these awesome tips

philosophicalShip9444 October 25th, 2017

Awesome tips and post Jenna

KaylaGM October 25th, 2017

Love this! Thank you :)

October 25th, 2017

I find this info to be good and sometimes it's a good distraction to get our focus off the issues

BridgetAileen October 25th, 2017

Great post! Thanks for sharing, Jenna. :)

ladylazarus1971 October 26th, 2017

Thank you, Jenna. It's good to be reminded of these things. When I get off track, the depression gets worse. This helps put things back together. <3

Serg77 October 26th, 2017

@Jenna

Thanks for this post. I find a walk or any form of exercise and disconnecting from social media are really helpful.

JennyLolli October 26th, 2017

Thanks for this! These are really good tips and it really helps to take care of yourself.

But on some days, I find even this is to hard to do because my mental illness is dragging me down so hard even the thought of showering sets me off and I start crying. For people who can connect to this, I want to share this post on Tumblr.
It had helped me a lot on some days and it was certainly nice knowing I'm not the only one experiencing the 'laugh hollowly, bc only in your fondest dreams could you manage to do any of those things'. wink

CoinFountain October 26th, 2017

@Jenna

Also make time to listen to a mindfulness recording. It helps lessen anxiety so less energy will get wasted on it which will help feel less drained, one of the leading causes of depression and/or contributers of it. Maybe cry if you find yourself able to for the endorphins.

Saifelhak74 October 26th, 2017

@Jenna

thank you for awesome ways, really very helpful.

I'm trying explain them to my members.

thank you again. yes smiley

placidCity1574 October 26th, 2017

@Jenna thank you was great post

caringShoulder14 October 26th, 2017

thanks @Jenna this is a great post

adoredHug70 October 29th, 2017

@Jenna

Thank you for this lovely post, I am trying so hard to get my life back on track but it seemed like it's going to be a lifetime of pain. I am trying.