Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weird thing about sitting

RexG July 16th, 2018

Theres one weird thing I noticed when I feel horrible and when I start to feel horrible. Sitting.

When I sit for a long time (1.5h+) and if Im feeling awful (nothing + kind of a rotting feeling) I feel even worse... Even physically sick. And if I wasnt feeling awful before, I start gradually feeling that way. Has anyone else noticed this? Like if you are doing anything that resembles sitting / doing nothing (literally) for a long time?

I never thought this would be one of my worst enemies...

Im still trying to remind myself of this every time I sit to study or do something on a computer... Or even when Im just lying down... Its so hard and I sometimes wonder why chairs were invented -_-

greenEyes2019 July 18th, 2018

@RexG

I find your thread peculiar yet very interesting.

What has struck my mind is, perhaps you've experienced something similar to misophonia, but with sitting being the trigger, and not a particular sound? (I'm trying to find something parallel to illustrate this, I don't know whether there is actually something like increased sensitivity in response to sitting. Well, maybe there is, who knows!)

Do you also experience actual physical pain? Something like in the case of allodynia? Or does it feel like pain?

Maybe you have been fed up with a certain action or working at a desk and in result, your brain "associates" sitting with something you detest? (Perhaps breaking your work/study routine would help you?)

I'm trying to imagine what kind of feeling this is. I can often feel pain in my neck and lower back after sitting long hours at a desk, understandably, but I've never felt upset or hypersensitive due to sitting just like that.

My friend recently said, 'Let's stand up for a bit, I'm fed up with sitting here. Humans have not been created to sit, but rather to stand or lie down.' I don't know whether it is scientifically correct, but I think it's amusing. :)

RexG OP July 18th, 2018

@greenEyes2019

It is really odd... I dont feel any pain at all (except after sitting in school for 6 hours, but I regularly get up so the feeling doesnt come).

The closest description Ive come to so far is some kind of physicall illness like a flu. When someone has a flu they feel tired, muscle pain (especially eyes), dizzy, a little (or sometimes a lot) nauseous and bad in the background (since no one is happy with being sick...).

So when I sit for a long time I start feeling like I have a flu just without dizzines, pain and nausea. Literally like a flu without the flu. Sounds bizarre, but hopefully you can imagine it now (Just remembering the last time you were sick would be enough since you wont actually feel anything else besides that background feeling.)

But youve got a point about the brain associating sitting with bad things... Maybe I remember that I will feel the pain from sitting too long and associate it with physical illness... Strange is the brain...

Perhaps your friends got a point too: https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/11/health/sitting-increases-risk-of-death-study/index.html (I just googled sitting too long) I guess sitting really is bad... frown