Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Need help getting over traumatizing event

Whimsyplant May 30th

TW mention of needles 

Hi! I'm 16 years old and I just joined this website because I'm seeking advice about overcoming my traumatizing experience I had when I was in the hospital for a week last December. For some context I have a long history of depression and my family is pretty emotionally unavailable. I have always had difficulty expressing feelings and bottling them up. Anyways, last December I went to the Hospital because I was experiencing severe dizziness and balance issues for weeks. Getting blood drawn and needles has always been my biggest fear and of course when I got admitted to the hospital I was getting my blood drawn everyday and sometimes multiple times a day. I've had to do many needle related tests too and for every procedure I had done I had severe anxiety/mental breakdowns. I had a break down literally every 45 minutes just because of the tubes I had in me or anything else and I was like this for the entire week I was there. Doctors never ended up figuring out what was wrong with me but I'm very thankful that the medication I was given completely cured me of all my symptoms but my problem is that I've had so many appointments post-hospital that kept reminding me about my traumatizing experience months after I got out and even now I can't help thinking about my horrible experiences very often. Usually I just zone out and think about (which makes me sad very often) but i've come to a realization that I need help getting over it. I've talked to my friends briefly about my experience and they are very supportive but I don't know why I still think about it..

AskTara June 1st

@Whimsyplant Hey!

I am really sorry to hear about your experience (it's normal to think about it) and the ongoing impact it has had on you. It sounds incredibly challenging, especially considering your history of depression and the emotional unavailability of your family.  It's great that you've reached out here for advice and support. Taking that step shows a lot of courage. 

Something that might help you overcome your traumatic experience is therapy. I know it is an obvious option, but I also understand it can be difficult to seek out a therapist without your family's support at 16. But, trust me, it can help loads. I am not sure what kind of healthcare system you have in your country, but there are social services available in almost every place (I can help you find resources if you want). 

And if you are already seeing one, some other complimentary things that might help you process and overcome these traumatic experiences are journaling support groups, and healthy distractions. Writing down your thoughts and feelings can be a powerful way to process your trauma as it allows you to express emotions that you might find difficult to verbalize. And connecting with others who have had similar experiences can provide a sense of understanding and community (you can join a support group here or may be an in-person one). Plus, engaging in activities (hobbies like exercising, art, dancing, etc.,) that you enjoy and those that can keep your mind occupied can help reduce the time you spend ruminating on your experience. 

Remember, healing takes time, and it's okay to ask for help along the way (just like you did here -- proud of you!). You're not alone in this, and many people care about your well-being and want to support you. Keep reaching out (you can message me too, always happy to help!) and taking steps toward your recovery.

Wishing you all the best and lots of support on your journey. 🤗
Whimsyplant OP June 2nd

@AskTara

Thank you this was really the response I needed to hear and I definitely felt like I made a big jump posting this because I'm so kept to myself. I feel like even just writing this out is helping me process more rather than keep it in. I'll take your advice and try writing more about it rather than reminiscing the painful memories. <3