Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you tell someone you can't trust them?

BDRD January 24th, 2021

I have exactly one friend, and she always tries telling me to open up more and not hide my feelings. However, most of the times I have tried doing this with her she ends up getting angry at me (I'll do something like ask her to offer me more compliments, and she gets angry saying she's already doing all she can and feels like she says enough nice things). So how do I explain to her I can't open up to her without losing her friendship? For the record this is nothing new, anytime I try opening up to people (even therapists) things go south for me, the only problem is I was already trying to open up with her and now I need to take some steps .

pompomppurin January 24th, 2021

u can always tell her that u arent ready to open up and be vulnerable. tell her that things go wrong whenever u do open up, and that you're afraid something bad might happen. if you're afraid something might happen when u do open up, then maybe the friendship is toxic,, she already gets upset when u ask for something small like reassurance but i don't know her personally. i don't think she understands ur feelings very well, and that can be super invalidating esp since she gets angry every time u try to open up.

BDRD OP January 28th, 2021

Thank you. She understands that you have to do what's best for you and is supportive of me