Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you deal with sleep dissorder during depression?

NahsLain June 8th, 2017

Hi. I'm going through some complicated times regarding depression. The thing that most affects my daily life is my sleeping schedule that's gone out of proportion. I can't seem to sleep during night, Im sleepy all day. Im jobless right now so that also means I get to be even more shut in. Before this, I went through a phase of almost 3 weeks where I would sleep for an enormous amount of time. Even if I got a full night's sleep, it still took me several hours a day of sleeping to get through the stuff that needed to be done.
Any sugestions on how can I get back to a healthy sleeping schedule? It's really affecting my life right now. I can barely make it through the day without a 3 hour nap, and still I'll be tired as hell. Im scared people will start to think I'm lazy, but the truth is, I'm drained!!
Thanx for your support in advance. Greeting from South Am.

sunflowderpowder June 8th, 2017

Have you tried to exercise a little bit after sleep? When you wake up, go for a walk or run a little bit even though you don't feel to it.

In order to regulate your sleeping schedule, try to not to sleep during the day, even though you can't resist it, just do something. And then go to bed early. If you cannot sleep, try to take some pills during one or two nights until your body has taken the habit to sleep at night, it might work. For me it has worked in some ocassions.

FadingStarDust June 8th, 2017

http://www.depressiontoolkit.org/takecare/sleeping_better.asp

Hey. I have sleep troubles too. For me listening to the sound of waves helps a lot. I listen to them on asoftmurmur.com and I put a link above to help you understand it better. <3
Hit me up of you wanna talk about it.

SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES June 22nd, 2017

I hope you can get a handle on the problem soon, so that you won't ever turn into me. I developed insomnia when I was a 22 year old college exchange student living in England. One nite became two, two became seven and here we are 34 years later and I still can not turn off my brain. I have been on sleeping pills and anti anxiety drugs for decades.

cSmith02 July 6th, 2017

@NahsLain

Exercise helps! Even if it is just 15-20 min!

Also try making a 'night routine' for yourself. I've found that if I read or meditate 30 min to an hour before I go to bed I am able to go to sleep far less stressed. I would also suggest turning off your electronics (tv, computer, phone) about an hour or so before you go to sleep, just so you can reduce stimulation and focus on fully relaxing. :)