Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How did you tell your family members that you were/are depressed?

ChaiTea36 February 5th, 2015

I have never directly come out to my family and said I am depressed. Sometimes I wonder if they have ever considered it when they talk to me. My family has a history of mental illnesses but we still arentcomfortable at all about talking about them. I would like to tell them eventually but just dont know how as I dontwant them to judge me. I would love to hear how you told your family members or relatives.

Shanna February 5th, 2015

@ChaiTea36, that's a very good question and I definitely understand your hesitations--telling anyone about our personal struggles (especially family whose opinions we care a lot about) can be daunting. For starters, I don't think there's any "wrong" way to tell them nor is there a wrong time so long as you feel you're ready to take the step. Have you brainstormed any ways you might be most comfortable bringing it up to them? Or any times you're all together that would be convenient?

Personally, as my family also doesn't talk about feelings or emotional struggles, I find it hard to bring these issues up to them as you do. I did attempt to explain it to my parents once last semester out of necessity--it was over the phone since I'm away at school and I basically just said that I'm having a hard time and was feeling unwell. They didn't understand just because of who they are as people and I've chosen not to bring it up again, but I think the decision depends entirely on your own family dynamic and what you do and do not wish to discuss with them.

Here are just a few ideas of how you might broach the topic:
1. You could write it down and share it with them that way if that would be more comfortable
2. Bring up a person in the media with a public struggle to help them understand, for example, "Hey mom, you know how ____ did that interview about their struggles with depression? I'm experiencing some of the same things"
3. Relate it do a poem or book or movie they know well
4. Come right out and ask if you could talk with them about some issues you're having, or mention it in passing during a time of conversation
5. Any other way you might be comfortable!

Do any of those sound like approaches you might be interested in? Or do you have other ideas? This article from everydayhealth might be helpful as well.

I hope you get some helpful responses and I'll be wishing you luck, it's a very brave step you're considering!

iamdauntlessgirl February 5th, 2015

I didn't. "Easy way!!"

godcreateduniverse February 5th, 2015

i guess i can't say but my parents understand my depression