Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression and birth control pill?

braveAlpaca July 1st, 2021

I'm just wondering what people's experiences have been and if anybody has had any issues with low mood, depression or anxiety while taking the pill/because of the pill. I know in theory it's supposed to help even out our mood, but I've started on the pill a few months ago and sometimes I feel like I don't recognize myself. There's been a lot happening in my life lately so it's hard to pinpoint whether it is directly related to the pill or not, but I've certainly felt a lot more emotional these last few months than is typical for me and my mood has been quite low, and sometimes for no apparent reason. I'm planning to talk to my doctor about going off the pill or maybe switching to something else, but I just thought I'd ask what other people's experiences have been. And I know everyone is different and may have different reactions, just wondering if anybody's had this connection between the pill and depression. Thanks!

redBalloon6821 July 3rd, 2021

Hi! I had depression for some years and after some treatments didn’t work i decided to go off the pill. I did this while also trying on some new medication and some new therapy so its hard to put a finger on what exactly improved my mood but i do see some slight improvements. I believe there is some research that indicates some relationship between depression and the pill but i am not sure.

StarlitSky4762 July 3rd, 2021

@braveAlpaca Yes. Using hormonal birth control may increase your risk of developing mood disorder symptoms.

Citation: Skovlund CW, Mørch LS, Kessing LV, Lidegaard Ø. Association of Hormonal Contraception With Depression. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Nov 1;73(11):1154-1162. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.2387. Erratum in: JAMA Psychiatry. 2017 Jul 1;74(7):764. PMID: 27680324. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27680324/