Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depressed and Introverted

StevieLynn1205 June 8th, 2017

My husband gets upset with me because I want to stay close to home most of the time. I work with the public every day and when I'm done with work the last thing I want to do is go hang out with people. I feel like my introvertednesss is feeding the depression and visa-versa. Can anyone relate? Any suggestions?

blueocean45 June 8th, 2017

@StevieLynn1205 I can totally relate to you. I just finished college and everyone has been pushing me to apply for a job right away. However, I'm still recovering from the stress, panic disorder, and depression that it put me in. My boyfriend was especially pushy, even comparing me to his ex. (Ouch!). But I opened up to him and told him that I needed to limit my time with others right now while I work through my depression and experiences. I'm very introverted so the idea of hanging out with friends or going anywhere where I feel like I need to put on a show is hard for me. Once I explained it and we had an open discussion and heart to heart, he understood and apologized.

CoinFountain June 9th, 2017

@StevieLynn1205

I'd say it's more likely the job wearing your energy even thinner. Depression can make people withdraw on it's own but spending time alone as an introvert should normally make you feel more recharged, depression interfering can make it feel like introversion is making it worse when the opposite is true. It's taking longer to recharge with the depression present. My meds and spending time in sun and vitamin D3 all helped some. So is spending time listening to mindfulness audio on 7cups.

optimisticEars June 9th, 2017

@StevieLynn1205 I also experience this. Once I get home from work or college, the last thing I want to do is go out and hang out with people, but I also believe that isolating myself can get me further into depression. It's a difficult cycle because although you feel as though you should spent time with people, you really don't have the energy to nor want to. What I usually do is either try to invite someone over who won't mind spending time lounging around or try to get myself to do some exercise with or without a friend. Believe it or not, sometimes our low energy levels are due to a lack of exercise. It takes a little bit of willpower, but usually the hardest part is trying to get yourself to do something (ex. drive to the gym), but once you're there and start your workout, it comes a little more effortlessly.