Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

just so lonely

lavenderMoon463 February 10th, 2022

i’m 19 and i live at home with my family still because i’m doing a uni degree online working from home. i have a boyfriend and i see him regularly and get on fairly well with his family. but i have no friends. i was due to do my a levels in 2020, but of course school stopped in march that year. that was the last time i saw anyone i was friends with at school in person. i’ve talked to a few people online or by text, but i haven’t stayed in touch consistently with anyone. it’s my own fault, but i feel so lonely. i have no friends to laugh with, no one close to confide in other than my boyfriend and i feel like a massive burden to him with all my mental health struggles. i know the obvious advice and that i should put myself out there or join a new club or something, but i just get anxious and i don’t want to open myself up to someone new and then get hurt by rejection. i’ve told friends about my mental health before and seemingly from that point on we’ve drifted apart. maybe i’m just not meant to have any friends, but it’s terrifying to think that if my boyfriend and i broke up i would have absolutely no one.

GloriaD March 13th, 2022

@lavenderMoon463

Hello lavenderMoon, I understand the pandemic has caused a lot of changes to all of our lives, especially in terms of sociability. It can be especially tough for those who haven’t had many social connections before the pandemic, since social distancing would lead to being unable to meet the few people you know, and perhaps much more. I agree with the point that we would need to put ourselves out there so that we can form relationships/friendships, but I also can relate to you about how anxiety eliciting it is for some of us when communicating with others.

Sometimes we need to practice our communication skills, or how to be social with those whom we trust, those who will respect us and provide us with constructive feedback on how we are progressing. You could try that out with the people whom you trust, or try that out in the 7Cups community. This is a really supportive place, where we give each other compassion, space to talk and constructive feedback. How do you find this community, lavenderMoon? 🌻

goodTown6241 April 16th, 2022

I completely relate to this. I've drifted from my major social groups and basically just been told by friends who I've opened up to to 'just party' or travel. I don't know how much that'd help though honestly, but yeah I feel ya I hope you're okay though, you sound super strong and like you've got a good head on your shoulders