Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Looking for advice

oOoOarielleOoOo August 12th, 2020

I have an addictive personality. I don't abuse drugs but I do spend way too much time on social media, online games, and drinking copious amounts of iced coffee.

I have recently deleted all 3 and am struggling to figure out what to do with myself as a replacement.

It's almost like I can't live without having a YouTube video going on in the background. I thought I could substitute human interaction with a game. I have no friends. My family is horrible. And I'm stuck inside my house with no way to meet new people. Aside from the fact that in normal circumstances I'm so awkward from going years without even attempting small talk.

I thought I was ok with being alone. I thought I was thriving. I was just ignoring my problems. And now that I'm ready for change, I don't know how to achieve it. And I'm afraid I'll give in and go back to business as usual.

smolstrawberries September 12th, 2020

@oOoOarielleOoOo

hi! I know it can be hard to give up things that you were so used to doing and may be used as distractions or coping mechanisms for you. I'm sorry that you are having a hard time at home. My listener account is: strawberrychar if u need to talk to someone.

here is a list of things you could do instead of those things:

start a journal (it can be any notebook and you can just write down what happened in your day, how you are, anything that is interesting to you)

Bake something

find a new book to read or book series

take daily walks

draw something (it doesn't have to be good)

color in a coloring book

clean your room

chalk on the sidewalk

organize your room

self care night

7motivation September 11th, 2020

@oOoOarielleOoOo

Hello.

These ideas might apply to you.

You can Google search them if you are interested

as I explain below.

Developing a Growth Mindset to replace Fixed Mindset can help some people.

Start mini or tiny. Mini Habits or Tiny Habits can help some people.

Learn Mindfulness to replace Mind-less-ness behavior, thinking, and perceiving.

You can find Growth Mindset and Habit and Minfulness resource links in a Post I made here:

https://www.7cups.com/forum/SiteUpdatesInformationFortheCommunity_100/GlensNookCommunity_547/Whatbookortalkhashelpedyou_228527/2/#forum-post-2433183

HERE IS GENERAL INFO ON HOW TO DO GOOGLE SEARCHES TO SOLVE PROBLEMS OR ANSWER QUESTIONS:

First, I always start with Google for any problem I am trying to solve.

GOOGLE SEARCHES I WOULD DO IN YOUR SITUATION:

FIX SOCIAL MEDIA ADDICTION

FIX ONLINE GAMING ADDICTION

FIX CAFFEINE ADDICTION

EXAMPLE:

1) Search https://www.google.com/search?q=FIX+SOCIAL+MEDIA+ADDICTION

2) Then I would right-click on the Images link at the top and open in a new window.

3) Then I would right-click on the Videos link at the top and open in a new window.

Then I would have 3 Google search results tabs to look through.

I would look for the best ideas from each.

REPEAT FOR EACH PROBLEM YOU WANT TO SOLVE.

FOCUS ON ONE PROBLEM AT A TIME (MOST IMPORTANT OR EASIEST).

MAKE TINY SMALL PROGRESS DAILY AND GAIN MOMENTUM, CONFIDENCE, AND SKILL SO BECOMES EASIER OVER TIME.

Geneseeforever1999 February 7th, 2021

Hey there. My name's Justice Harris and if you ever need to chat 1 on 1 you are free to do so. I Know exactly how you feel because all of these things that you mentioned I do the exact same thing. I can't function without my alcohol or watching a YouTube video , or eating. I tend to flip flop when it comes to food. silence is uncomfortable and I can relate. I also thought that I would better off alone but now that I'm in a relationship things are changing and I hate it. You however I believe in you and you deserve better.

Geneseeforever1999 February 7th, 2021

I'll be here if you need a friend