Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

professional help?

italiangramma April 24th, 2020

i have a very weird situation. i have not been diagnosed with anything yet, but i am 99% sure i have depression and maybe some other things too. i had a very traumatic childhood and still am experiencing the aftereffects of it, i am safe though. i'm 17 and my mom knows i'm doing this but she doesn't understand why, because i haven't told her anything... how do i go about talking to my parents about getting professional help if they're the sources of how i feel? i don't have the kind of parents that i can talk to about my feelings, which is why i'm here. thank you!

RarelyCharlie April 24th, 2020

@italiangramma This depends on local laws, but in some places you can consult a doctor, or a school or college counsellor, independently and confidentially when you're 17.

Then the person you consult can tell your parents that they recommend professional help for you but the reasons are confidential. It might still create an awkward situation between you and your parents, but there would be no need to explain your feelings to them or tell them everything.

If you'd like to discuss the situation in more detail, feel free to click on my profile picture and message me.

Charlie