Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

When you feel depressed about other people's misfortune

Eli098 March 24th, 2021

Part of my

Eli098 OP March 24th, 2021

Oh well sorry I submitted the thread without writing anything. Part of my depression stems from feeling so upset about the state of the world or other people's Misfortune. I don't know what to do about that. Like if I read on the news or I hear from other people something horrible happened, I get reminded how life is so unfair and I wonder that could exactly be me experiencing that misfortune. I know I perhaps care too much? Like if I hear about somebody dying young or somebody so sick, animals being abused, acts of discrimination etc etc about random strangers in the news or whatever, I feel so upset. Almost like losing hope in humanity. Obviously these incidents have nothing to do with me personally and I already know life is very unfair 2 everybody. But sometime hearing these things make me so upset and I feel so sorry for that person. And not to mention sometime I think about it for hours or even a day or two . Like why did this have to happen to them? Why are people so cruel? Or how can you do that to another human being? How do you think I should go about this? How do I care less or not torture myself like this? I try to stay off social media or stop reading the news but that doesn't always happen. Please feel free to leave any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you so much for reading!

thjakie March 24th, 2021

If you keep yourself busy you won't have time to spare for those thoughts, news or social media. When it comes to social media there's a lot out of your control but you also have options and settings which can help filter what you're seeing, reading and hearing. It's generally a bad idea to let negative thoughts spiral without any intervention. Sitting for multiple days stuck on bad thoughts isn't a great way to pass time. Try learning something interesting, practicing breathing exercises, try some meditation, maybe a new workout, learn a craft, or just do something relaxing or which you enjoy. It's a much better pastime and you will be much happier with the results at the end of those activities.

Eli098 OP March 24th, 2021

Thank you so much for leaving your suggestion I would definitely take your advice to heart!