Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is it like?

brightAmy98 September 21st, 2015

Imagine yourself in the ocean, slowly drowning. The deeper you fall, the harder it is to breath. You want to escape, but you feel your mind stopping you. You want to be free, but fate has another plan for you. You feel your body hit the bottom, and instantly you run out of breath. Suddenly your just floating at the bottom of the ocean, no one to know where you are, no one to help you. Your alone, and scared. Suddenly, you hear voices. They are telling you to swim to the top. That it isnt hard, all you need to do is control yourself. You try, but it isnt that easy. As much as you try, you feel like you are not getting anywhere. You close your eyes as your body slowly begins to shut down. Yet those voices are still telling you to swim, to just survive. But you cant. You try and you try, but nothing seems to happen. Suddenly, you find yourself fading away. Slowly losing control You like this feeling. Suddenly you feel free, like weight has been lifted off your shoulders. As you slowly drift away, you become nothing more than a memory. Your free. Happy. Safe. Yet something is wrong. The escape that you thought you had, turned out not to be true. It was nothing more than a dream. You find yourself staring out of your window, wishing that the dream was a reality. You think to yourself: "I cant escape, i can not swim to the top. My mind is slowly drowning me, taking my last breath. It is hard, there is only one escape. I want to be free, i want to be happy, i want to be safe". You close your eyes, and say one last prayer. Suddenly, you find the once closed window, is now open. The drop from the window doesn't feel as long as the one in your dream, yet you still feel great. Because now you are safe. Now you are happy. And now, you are free.

Depression is one of worlds biggest killers, yet is ignored by many. It is a mental disorder, an illness. Would you tell someone with cancer to "Just get better"? Then why would you do the same to someone with depression? Spread this around to raise awareness to those who are drowning slowly, and are afraid to speak up. Stay Strong.

easyWater4109 September 21st, 2015

Thank you

221Skye September 23rd, 2015

@brightAmy98 This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for writing this- it's amazingly relatable and such an important message to spread. You can't just "get over" depression. You've to get through it. So, thank you. For spending time to make people more aware of this. I wish you the bestest of the best! Take care <3

Celaeno September 23rd, 2015

@brightAmy98, thank you for sharing with us your description of depression. It is immensely vivid and formidable, and it grasp my own feelings regarding the struggle with this illness.

My favourite part is about subjecting to the vortex:

"As much as you try, you feel like you are not getting anywhere. You close your eyes as your body slowly begins to shut down. Yet those voices are still telling you to swim, to just survive. But you cant. You try and you try, but nothing seems to happen. Suddenly, you find yourself fading away. Slowly losing control You like this feeling. Suddenly you feel free, like weight has been lifted off your shoulders. As you slowly drift away, you become nothing more than a memory. Your free. Happy. Safe. Yet something is wrong."

Thank you once again, lovely ^^ Sending you all the best wishes!