Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you do when you realize you are depressed or having another episode of depression?

JanahisHere September 22nd, 2017

I was discussing with a friend today what we do when we get depressed after realizing our depressions were VERY different from each other. I like to deal with things at first by myself, thinking through things and understanding why I am depressed before speaking to people or asking for help. While she realized it was better for her to reach out right away and let people know so they can help her, rather than needing time alone with the realization first.

So I wanted to pose the question to you guys too... What is your first reaction and why is it your reaction when you realize you are depressed? Please also feel free to leave suggestions on what reactions you have seen have been good in your or someone else's experience!

CoinFountain October 23rd, 2017

@JanahisHere

When I first realized it was bad I realized I needed to go see doctor to get medication to take the edge off just so I could get up and self care properly. After that I started doing everything possible to stave it with multi pronged approaches of everything from getting more exercise to getting vitamin D3 and UVB from the sun as much as is recommended (15 min a day of unobstructed sun rays above 45 degrees to ground cause it gets filtered by atmosphere and window glass and shade). Walking can increase energy if body isn't burnt out by something like malnutrician or from higher than normal stress levels.

Lately I've been trying to listen to mindfulness recordings here on 7cups daily as much as possible cause it decreases daily stress which keeps anxiety lower which is one of the causes of depression in my case. I plan to use a UVB lamp (expensive for the proper ones not for lizards) in the winter to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

Also important to be social now and then despite not feeling like it cause withdrawing is what depression makes people do and it only makes things worse...trying to be near positive people instead of negative ones as much as your network will allow. Using webcam can simulate in person better than chat can and it feels easier than heading out to something like a party or being near a lot of people at once.

caringShoulder14 October 23rd, 2017

i usually realize im having a bad time when i start secluding myself more from my friends and family. or whenever people are trying to be helpful and i become angry and then become emotional and cry. the up and down mood swings are a huge sign for me. when i see it happening i usually try to reach out to close friends and let them know how im feeling just so that they dont think im being rude and so that they can keep an eye on me.