Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychologists vs psychiatrists

diplomaticBunny2322 May 16th, 2017

What kind of therapy do you get, if any? Do you see a psychologist or a psychiatrist?

CoinFountain May 16th, 2017

@diplomaticBunny2322

I've seen psychologists who are trained more on talk based therapy, CBT and some others. Psychiatrists also have the medical training to diagnose and give prescriptions where necessary after their initial assessment of your symptoms. I've only seen one psychiatrist which was just for an initial assessment which was a list of questions about my past and emotions and things like diet and medications I was already on. I'm currently on a wait list for a mental health counsellor which I'm told does the same thing as psychologists do but I'm not sure how much difference there is to the training. I think training can vary depending on the schools they studied and how often they keep up with updating their education.

SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES May 17th, 2017

@diplomaticBunny2322

Many people do not, but I have both, because the mental health clinic that I go to which is State run demands this of all patients. It is not obligatory that you take medication, and if you do not then you only have to see the psychiatrist 4x a year to check in, if you are on medication and depending on your diagnosis you will be seen every 4-8 weeks. In terms of the psychologist, you are seen 1-4 x a month. You can not drop one, they go hand in hand and are a team, if you refuse you can not stay at the clinic. I have been going there since Nov 2011 and it has been relatively problem free for me. Only a psychiatrist can write prescriptions, a psychologist or a social worker can not.heart

diplomaticBunny2322 OP May 17th, 2017

@gregariousEast733 @CoinFountain Do you take meds? I don't see anyone but I've been thinking about it. I'm not sure where to start and if it'll be of use at all. I'm mostly considering it because I think I'd like to see if meds could help.

@diplomaticBunny2322

Hold on to your hat, I have been on 40 different psychotropic meds in my life. Most of them are not to semi effective and many come with a laundry list of side effects.

I am weaning off both my anti depressants now, as they are a waste of my time and money, but will keep Inderal as it is a cardiac drug and it has totally stopped by decades long battle with panic disorder - the sleeping pills and anti anxiety pills ( also used for sleep ) stay though.

diplomaticBunny2322 OP May 18th, 2017

@SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES Well that's good to know, although a bit disappointing, but I figured there was no easy fix. Thanks for sharing. I have anxiety too. What are your experiences with anxiety meds?

SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES May 18th, 2017

@diplomaticBunny2322

Everyone is so so different in how their bodies process drugs, but in my own particular case, I have not found any real relief from anxiety and I have a good handle on it now due to the cardiac medication I take, it is prescribed by my psychiatrist as many psych patients take it for panic disorder. It works like a charm, I have been on it over 4 years now and it stopped all my endless panic attacks cold. I had them since I was 19 and ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. I take prescribed sleeping pills as well as Klonapin, and am dropping both Wellbutrin and Effexor as they do not control my depression at all, so no point in filling up my body with toxins and emptying my purse of its contents for stuff that is ineffective. Ask me anything, feel free. I have been on 40 different meds in my day. heart

diplomaticBunny2322 OP May 19th, 2017

@SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES Thank you! I'm glad to hear it helps with your anxiety. I actually can't imagine how anything would ease mine. Maybe the physical symptoms, but the thoughts would stay the same, wouldn't they? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

CoinFountain May 18th, 2017

@diplomaticBunny2322

I'm currently on 10mg Escitalopram Oxalate. There was some side effects but after adjusting dose they went away and for me it was worth it because without them I couldn't muster enough energy to do anything but feed myself. It was as bad as if I'd had a flu but without a fever or being contagious. Now I'm much more careful about vitamin D3 intake and getting enough sun when it's at the right angle in the summer to build up enough for winter SAD. (I feel I should mention SSRI do cause what people describe as a frosty sensation intermittently in the head which is totally normal and not painful and is good to know what to expect so those that try aren't scared by the sign it's working.)

SHEAINTGOTNOSHOES May 18th, 2017

@CoinFountain

Quite a popular pill. I somehow get the feeling that Prozac, Paxil and Celexa are going by the wayside, but I could be wrong. The newest pill I ever took ( anti depressants ) was Cymbalta, but it was very very expensive and gave terrible dry mouth and my teeth are bad enough as it is, so I dropped it.

diplomaticBunny2322 OP May 19th, 2017

@CoinFountain Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

calmUnicorn92 May 17th, 2017

I've seen two school counselors, two school based therapists (psychologists) and one psychiatrist in the last year. I had to go through quite a few people before I finally found someone who helped me and understood me. And I'm glad I did. After seeing her my depression started getting easier to cope with and I went seven months without cutting. I have relapsed since then, but it was still a huge accomplishment. The longest time I had gone without cutting before meeting her was less than a month.

heartheartheartheartheart@calmUnicorn92

diplomaticBunny2322 OP May 18th, 2017

@calmUnicorn92 I'm glad you're getting better. Is it like talk therapy? Could you describe what it is about it that helps?

calmUnicorn92 May 19th, 2017

@diplomaticBunny2322 it is mostly talk therapy, but she said she may want me to see another psychiatrist, too, for antidepressants, antianxiety, and/or sleeping pills eventually. I couldn't really tell you what it is about her that makes her better for me than the others. The therapists and counselors I saw before her kinda felt fake to me. They all had a fake calmness. But the woman I go to now let's me laugh or scream or whatever I need to do. She acts more like a friend, someone who wants to help than someone who has to.

Glue May 21st, 2017

@diplomaticBunny2322 Been to a lot of therapists and counselors, both in and out of school. When I visited a psychiatrist at my local mental health clinic, they would quickly suggest medication as thought they didn't have as much experience with communication and talking as a psychologist had. I personally prefer licensed psychologists over licensed psychiatrists.