Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) Awareness

OmegaWolf80 July 15th, 2020

I feel like PMDD is not well understood or heard about a lot, so I wrote this to inform people about it as someone who suffers from it. I understand it may be embarrassing to talk about, but it's also very important.

All girls have heard of PMS, right? Right before "that time of the month" when you get cranky, irritable, moody, and all you want is to eat chocolate. PMS is normal, almost all girls experience it at some point. PMDD is similar to PMS, it is characterized by mood swings around the time of menstruation. However, don't confuse the two.
PMDD is like PMS on steroids, and can be crippling to some. PMDD can cause feelings of depression, anxiety, hopelessness, self esteem issues, outbursts of anger, drastic mood swings, along with countless other symptoms, as it often presents differently. Many women are often misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder, when in reality they are suffering from PMDD. The worst cases of PMDD can even cause suicidal thoughts. PMDD can interfere with work, school, relationships, and overall well-being.

PMDD is thought to be caused by a sensitivity to the female hormones released after ovulation, with symptoms appearing up to two weeks before the period starts, and disappearing again as hormone levels drop soon after menstration starts. It returns monthly, often changing in severity depending on the amount of hormones released. It also has many physical symptoms ranging from cramps, bloating, weight gain, acne, and even migraines.

PMDD can be treated with anti-depressants or birth control pills that lower hormone levels thought to cause PMDD. Proper diet and exercise and getting important vitamins can also help regulate it. If you suspect that you have PMDD, keep a mood tracker and see if your mood tends to be significantly more negative around menstration, more so than PMS. If so, it's a good idea to talk to a healthcare provider for more help.

Thank you!

Kachidim July 17th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80 Wow, never knew something like this existed. Thanks for the post, I'll definitely keep a mood tracker

OmegaWolf80 OP July 17th, 2020

@Kachidim

that's what I wrote it for! PMDD really needs more awareness. I'm glad it helped you!

tkokayok July 17th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80 this is something I have. I am really struggling emotionally today, with my menses starting soon. Anyone have any good tips of pushing through all the heavy negative feelings? I'm at a loss with it all.

scenicOcean958 July 19th, 2020

@tkokayok Sorry to hear that! sad I know there is free peer support at IAPMD, in case you are interested in exploring this: https://iapmd.org/peer-support

jwsgson126 July 26th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80 I really want to thank you for posting this to enhance PMDD awareness and support, I think this is very important! Happy to have someone like you who posts through this program

scenicOcean958 July 16th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80 Great post - thank you for writing this!!! It's an extremely important topic which, sadly, is not well-known or well-understood. I am sharing a few links which I have personally found helpful in understanding and learning about this disorder.

https://iapmd.org/about-pmdd

https://www.viciouscyclepmdd.com/pmdd

https://mevpmdd.com/

https://blog.mevpmdd.com/

lemonbread375 July 17th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80 oddly enough i feel like this would be an accurate explaination of my struggles. i feel like i go thro a period of ok-ness and then slump down into a very dark place for days at a time i wonder if this might be it

@lemonbread375

it's definitely worth checking into. I hope you feel better!

plumeriafrangipani July 17th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80

Wow I'm so glad I found this post this really makes alot of sense to me. Thanks so much I'm going to look into it for myself

@plumeriafrangipani

Im glad it helped!

Invisibility101 July 17th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80

Wow, this was really informative!! Thanks for sharing ❤

StarWarsFangirl July 17th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80 seeing the symptoms, i think i have it

Lexloveslife July 17th, 2020

Thanks for sharing, it's ridiculously hard to get diagnosed with unfortunately (for me at least) because I have already been diagnosed with major depression & am on birth control. Been talking to my docs about this for a while and it's like they have never heard of it. It's good to know that this is being acknowledged as a serious issue

OmegaWolf80 OP July 26th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80

:) :8

conscientiousBeach7855 July 28th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80

Thank you so much for raising awareness on this! I've been wondering if PMS was supposed to be as bad as I experience it, until it lead me to multiple suicide attempts. It's so dangerous to be dismissive of your symptoms by thinking that it's just PMS and that it'll pass, when in reality it poses a huge risk to your health and safety and is very much recurrent.

I started taking birth control after being hospitalized twice for debilitating menstural cramps and years of depression, and I'm happy to say that it has helped me a lot so far. It's not a cure, but it certainly makes everyday a bit more bearable now.

July 28th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80

Something that I really wanted to know about. I had heard about it from my teacher but never really knew the deatils. PMS is something very common, very common in my own body too. However, PMDD is common too but nobody ever realised that. This is great useful information, specifically for young girls of ym age(18). Thank you loadsheart

TortueDesBois July 28th, 2020

I think I have it but can't take antidepressant because it cause me suicidal thoughts and prevent me from sleep.

tabon12 October 6th, 2020

Causes of PMS of changes in your hormone levels during the menstrual cycle. Regular exercise and healthy meals will also make a big difference in relieving symptoms. Recommended reducing salt and caffeine in your diet, while over-the-counter painkillers will take care of aches and pains. But one treatment that’s been successful for many women is the hormone regulating pill, also known as the birth control pill. It turns out that the pill is good for a lot more than preventing pregnancies. Most birth control pills (combination pills) contain synthetic versions of estrogen and progesterone, and they work by stopping ovulation. The progesterone in the pill thins out the uterine lining, making your periods lighter. This method of treatment really works, tested on yourself.

Iwanabeahippie October 19th, 2020

@OmegaWolf80

Thank you for sharing this. I dont have the words to properly express what id like to say right now but this needs to be less taboo and spoken about more freely. Too many women are suffering in silence with this disorder, myself included and I can honestly say it's ruining my life beyond repair.