Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is it wrong to refuse meds?

lavenderFarm4174 October 19th, 2015

So I finally took myself to my GP last week to discuss how I was feeling and to see if it would help me. I wasn't entirely sure what I would get out of it, however my GP asked me about my symptoms and a few other questions. They then asked me to fill in depression and anxiety tests (similar to the emotional wellbeing test on here), then came at me with the idea of antidepressants. And it totally scared me! :(

I wasn't expecting that on my first visit! But the GP gave me until today to read through a leaflet and decide whether or not I wanted meds.

I went back today and said no. I refused.

Was it the right thing to do? The GP didn't think so and tried to persuade me otherwise, but I don't want to put myself through anything else that could just cause more harm :(

Moondancesandmoments October 19th, 2015

I think that the medication could have helped you a lot, but you have to do what you are comfortable with.

I'm sure that if you think about it some more and get used to the idea, that meds will still be available for you if you decide you want them.

I hope you make the right decision for you :)

Good Luck xx

discreetAcres6234 October 19th, 2015

I used to have a reaction when people would say the words "medication" or "antidepressants". I thought that they would end up ruining my life. But then I reached a point this year where I couldn't take it anymore, I was ready to accept any help that I was offered and that included antidepressants.

What I learned is that they haven't ruined my life, they have made life easier for me to live. I used to feel very numb, hollow, and hopeless, now I feel as if there is life inside me, like the bad feelings just faded away to let me feel okay.

When I talked to my GP about how I felt about medication she reassured me that they are not there to run my life but only to make me feel lighter. And they do, they really take the edge off.

There are so many different medications out there and yes, side effects do happen and sometimes the medication doesn't work for you so you go through almost a trial period where you try to find one that works for you. It's scary to think about but in the long run there are easier days ahead.

It's ultimately your choice whether you want them or not. And since you're making this post it sounds like you might be having doubts about the choice you made. I just wanted you to hear the side of someone who was also scared of medication but then they changed me for the better.

Take care of yourself. Lots of love - DA

honestLime7372 October 19th, 2015

Beginning medication isn't a step you should take lightly, for every effect there are side effects, and these can be different for every person. Could you ask to be referred for therapy?

lavenderFarm4174 OP October 19th, 2015

Thank you everyone, it is very comforting to hear lovely words! :)

1HappyDuck October 20th, 2015

I have been diagnosed with multiple disorders and even a physical illness. They all effect me in ways that have pulled me away from success and happiness. I am not a fan of medication but two years ago I decided to ty numerous anxiety medications. The first one worked and I felt amazing until it stopped working after only a month. After upping the dose and trying three other medications I finally gave up. I refused meds and my doctor was okay with it because she doesn't believe you should push meds on those uncomfortable with it. So i got a dog instead and found I was doing far better than i could have imagined, she gave me a purpose to stick around and a future to look forward to. I still have my disorders and sadly my ocd hasn't been helped by any of this but i can understand any reason to refuse meds. Although I never felt worse on them except for the weeks of nausea I wasn't really better, i was in a haze and couldnt feel things like i wanted too. When I listened to music I felt nothing. I was emotionless but always smiling. I think they are worth a try but I think it's also a choice you have to make on your own. Don't do it cause a hundred people tell you to, do it because it's what you want and if you think the benefits outweigh the risks. If you take them wihout therapy it'll be a mask for your symptoms but with therapy you'll likely make progress and maybe eventually wean off the drugs. I wanted so badly for them to work but being one who's deeply invested in art it wasn't an option for me. The doctors will say risks are very low but I had a friend who would say that doesn't matter after what happened to her on meds. But then people such as my uncle have been on meds for twenty years with no side effects at all. It's so scary to try new things especially medication that alters how your brain functions. It'll be harder to overcome without meds but people have done it and others could only have done it with meds. You can take as long as you want to decide which type of person you are but you're strong no matter the road you choose. I've chosen no medication from here on out but I'm really stubborn and still have a little hope that I'll recover. Just take it day by day and you don't have to say no to meds forever. Maybe you try them in a few months or years or after trying a few alternatives too like natural supplements and alternative therapies. I wish you the best but just no its okay no matter your choice. It's your body and your life and ultimately you have to live with your choices not your doctor.

Alice6224 October 20th, 2015

I don't think that's wrong... when I first feel something's wrong with me, I went to a therapist/counsellor. She helped me a lot, taught me relaxation techniques, talked to me and so on....

It was until my situation deteriorated (due to genetics, environment etc) that I went for meds. Taking medicine is not easy, all those side effects could make you more anxious and anxiety could one even more depress... btw, I was diagnosed with both anxiety and depression. So, it was really hard.

Medicines do help, it stabilized my mood and prevented the worst from happening.

So, what I think is, if you are not in immediate danger...maybe you can first go for a therapist... if the situation is unbearable, try medicine (and therapy if possible).

Take care. with love, Al

Dailycoffee October 21st, 2015

Anti depressants are suppose to be most effective if combined with some sort of therapy.

It's entirely up to you whether or not to take them.

However, the fact remains you felt poorly enough to ask the GP for help, a huge , brave step. So you've got to figure out where to go from this point onwards.

I don't quite understand why the GP hasn't discussed other ways to help you.

I have been on and off antidepressants for years. When I'm really bad they do help, take the edge off a bit. Without them I FEEL more, but that includes good things too

xx