Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is depression causing me to be fickle?

faithfulTriangle3777 August 25th, 2015

Anyone experience extreme fickleness? For instance, I have long realized that my stressful is completely exacerbating my depression symptoms. So, what happens is for 3 months I'll have my heart set on one particular occupation, but then all of a sudden I'll completely lose interest in that occupation and become fixated on another. This change in the desired occupation changes every few weeks or months and usually rotates between 3-5 occupations, each time I become fixated on one, I can't imagine doing the others.

It makes me feel like I'm a 5-year old kid who wants to be firefighter on wednesday and then a policman on thursday.

lightGlobe8412 August 25th, 2015

Depression is cuz me to have lots of fickleness and anxiety I need someone.

Celaeno August 27th, 2015

Hi @faithfulTriangle3777!

It seems to me that this constant changing of the topics of your interest is pretty troubling for you. Did you notice any problems with your ability to concentrate in a given time while working, or is it just affects the switching of subject matter in general? Have you observe shorter attention span in yourself?

To be honest, I never ponder if my depression made me be fickle. I mostly have problems with finishing tasks in a broad range of subjects, but it seems to me it's more the case of low energy and concentration levels - to put it simple, I'm getting fatigued faster ^^;

faithfulTriangle3777 OP September 1st, 2015

Thank you for your reply. I also have issues focusing on top of being fickle. For instance, when getting ready for work in the morning I'll get various ingredients out of the fridge but instead of making my lunch, I'll start up another project like making coffee. I start things and don't finish. Another think I notice is that I get very angry when I have to do the same thing every day. My brain tells me it's futile to make lunch because it's something I have to do every day. My wife thought I was crazy for complaining about it and I'm not a lazy person by nature. It's just that when you are depressed every task is a struggle.

Celaeno September 1st, 2015

@faithfulTriangle3777, exactly! After some thinking I may do some of the mentioned things, like starting some task, and just leave it mid-air. Or walk in to the room and forget why you are you here.

My doctor said once to me that depression makes your hormones just go crazy, and that's why we experienced such a whirlwind of them. So it's natural to get confused. But after any kind of treatment, you can take it under control, and also you learn to notice the sudden changes which helps too. You can also learn how to improve your concentration levels by slowly raising the time you set for the given task.