Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Don't know what to do anymore

Nimue1993 January 7th, 2018

I've had dysthymia since I was 15 years old (officially diagnosed when I was 19, but looking back, it started when I was 15). I also have autism spectrum disorder (which the dysthymia is probably related to). I've been in therapy and had coaching on and off since my diagnoses, but I still struggle so much in life and it doesn't seem to get better. I mean, I've learned a lot and understand myself much better now, but I still have as many mood swings and times of feeling down as I had a years ago and I'm 24 years old now. I know mental illness doesn't get fixed overnight, but I just don't seem to make much progress. One of the main reasons (according to me and my last therapist) is that I cannot activate/motivate myself to do things. It is so hard for me to just start doing something, especially if it is something new. This is the main reason that I had to stop therapy and the main reason for struggling in college. I'm still in college, but I don't think I'm going to make it if I cannot change myself. I just don't know how to do it or what could possibly help me. I just feel like a lost cause. It's not that I'm a total screw-up or anything, I mean, I have a girlfriend, I have some friends, I have pretty good contact with my family, I have my own place which I can keep clean and neat, etc. I don't know, it all just doesn't make sense anymore and every day is a struggle and I just don't want to struggle anymore but I don't know how it could every get better.

CalmWhisper22 July 19th, 2018

@Nimue1993

Sorry that you are struggling with this and that no one has responded until now. If you aren't interested in picking up therapy again at this time you might consider looking at the DBT information which might help you. Looking up pleasant activities list on the web and doing 3 positive things a week will also help get the mood up.