Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Did anyone else give themselves a deadline to turn their life around?

blindbob June 21st, 2022

When I turned 30, I was sleeping on a floor in an apartment in a new city. Nobody remembered my birthday. I vowed If I didn't turn things around by the time I turned 40, then I gave myself permission to end things. My 40th birthday is in less than two weeks. In ten years time, my life is more or less stuck in the same place. No friends, no romantic relationships, no kids, sucking at my job, no home, and on top of that, I weigh 40 lbs more than I did 10 years ago. I've tried so many things to improve my life. This year, I spent thousands on a matchmaker, went to a wellness retreat and tried different weight-loss programs. I dug my heels in to try to reach my project targets at work. I tried to find a home I could afford. I even went for therapy again, took anti-depressants. Nothing has made a lick of difference. This year has taught me that when God doesn't budge, no matter how hard you try, or how much you pray, you'll fail.

Openkeylock June 27th, 2022

Hey, just wanted to give my quick 2 cents. People think I’m joking when I’ve said I had a bad decade, it’s real lol...Yes, sometimes no matter what I’ve done things just would not work out. At some points I found it to be unbelievable how much things feel apart. Especially before this bad stretch of time people considered me to be very efficient and would come to me for various life advice. So to go from that to almost complete disaster just doesn’t make any sense...I say that to say this, Sometimes a valley last for 10 years, yes that is extremely long! And for whatever Cosmic reason, life is almost going out of it’s way to keep you stuck. I believe everyone experiences this to a certain degree, it’s just that theirs might only last a few weeks or months at a time, instead of consecutive years. In retrospect I could of done things differently, but operating in a very tight and restrictive period of time doesn’t really lead to the best outcomes or the most positive outlook on life, I get it...I understand feeling robbed of time and opportunities, but I can guarantee that because of how dramatic your down period was, the upswing will be equally interesting, and it may be coming later than you like, but that’s your situation for now. It’s better than peaking in High School lol. There is hope, Hang in there, your Future is better than you realize...Good luck

wonderfulSoul4237 July 8th, 2022

@blindbob It sounds like you're feeling despair and frustration because you have not yet achieved your goals in life. Having repeated failures in life does not mean you are incapable of success. If one approach doesn't work, there are many more that might. For example, Thomas Edison failed thousands of times before inventing a single successful light bulb. These resources may be helpful to you: https://www.7cups.com/depression-help-online/ https://www.7cups.com/getting-unstuck/ Feel free to message me if you would like to talk more about this. I hope you find contentment and joy in your life.

blindbob OP July 9th, 2022

@wonderfulSoul4237 This is beyond a mental loop, this is a life loop. I have basically the same problems I did at age eight. People just didn't like me. When they say, It gets better, it's a lie!