Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression and sex (TW? TMI?)

lavenderMoon463 June 24th, 2021

I’ve been in my relationship for coming up to three years now, and our experience of sex has been a bit of a rollercoaster. When we first got together (me 15 him 16) my boyfriend really wanted to have sex and have our first time together etc. At that point I felt a very strong aversion to sex and even kissing and thought I’d never want it, and this difference between us caused some difficulty and insecurities (mostly on my part). After three months we had our first kiss and by six months had had sex. It took me a while to feel safe and secure enough but it was good and we would do it fairly regularly (classic teenagers). Fast forward to now (me 18 him 19) and my depression (undiagnosed and unmedicated but i’ve had some therapy) has been causing my feelings towards sex to change again over the last few months. We’ve been lucky and have been living together near his family’s house, so have been together pretty much all day every day for a while now. Recently I just haven’t been feeling that interested in sex, but my boyfriend still wants to do it fairly regularly, although not as often as before. I never really feel that into it and I’m never sure at the start but kind of just let it happen because I ask want to please my boyfriend. I either don’t enjoy it and feel stupid afterwards, or if I start to enjoy it I feel incredibly guilty and confused. I don’t know how to talk to my boyfriend about it, he kind of understands that I’m not that interested anymore and there have been occasions where I’ve cried straight afterwards, which really ruins the situation (thank you, brain). I feel this almost paralysing fear that he won’t want me if I don’t want sex, and I don’t know how to work through it. Sorry this has been quite detailed and a bit of a rant. I’d appreciate any advice or just to know I’m not the only one who’s experienced something like this. Thank you

peacefulIris56 June 24th, 2021

@lavenderMoon463 Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like that you are going through a rough patch right now in your relationship. The aversion to sex that you feel has given you feelings of discomfort. You are afraid that this discomfort is going through may affect the overall relationship that you have with him. You really want to work through this and be comfortable with him and you just don't know how to work through it. The way that you feel about sex is because of the traumas thst you have gone through. Working on the underlying trauma will help you get through this.