Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression affecting a loved one

niceScarf143 December 9th, 2016

Hello Everyone,

I'll try to get through this without breaking down. My significant other has depression that's been pretty much affected his life, and after several year of suppressing it, it's out full force.

The initial breakup and attempted reconciliation due to DUI we spent more than a year on, and he still was ignoring the heed of seeking his own counseling. He still brushed it up, by the mood swings and things he'd say we're becoming fire hurtful. It came to the point where he blurted out he cheated on me during the initial break, and everything just came crashing down. The love between us is very strong, but to see him spiraling down FAST is hurting.

After my serious car accident (a week exactly later might I add), he's had a partial wake up call and has finally narrowed it down after a month of narrowing a pool down-with breakdowns and panic attacks in between.

I want to be to be there for him, but of course within my own limits. We're now at the waiting game of hearing back from the other choice, and he gets gruff and upset when the topic of speaking about getting help overwhelms him, and it hurts me to see it. As someone diagnosed with Anxiety, I do understand those feelings well, but he flat out refuses to talk about it for the time being, as he just wants to breathe and enjoy for now until the last potential therapist calls back.

How do I be there? I want to support him, but I know my boundaries. I know when he talks in angry outbursts sometimes, it's not truly him. If thought about just letting him be, but he made it clear how grateful he is that I'm there to help. His friends and family abandoned him and think he's just a loser. 😞

I'm sorry for rambling on...I wish there was a forum that talks about this. Any support or words of wisdom is helpful.

mary31 December 10th, 2016

@niceScarf143

well, I understand your feelings. It's sad when we see someone we like needing help. I think at some point you are starting to see that you have limits, you need boundaries. I am sure your boyfriend needs support, but you also need. I can't tell you what to do with your relationship, but really try to take care of yourself in the first place. If you are not ok, if you don't feel loved and respected, it is even more difficult to help anyone, specially your boyfriend. So, love yourself the more you can, each day, start with baby steps, and then check what is better for you. Wish you luck!