Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Betrayal of a close friend

Helba September 25th, 2017

I am a writer and my best friend Aggie (name changed) is also a writer. In 2015 we have published our books under the same publishing company. Then I have sent her my first message. I did my best to be a great friend, I supported her as much as I could. I read her stories, wrote fanfictions for her, drew fanarts for her. Two years later she read my new book and sent me a hate review, saying that my characters were "brainless" and telling them to kill themselves. I confronted her about this and she said that she exaggerated and apologized. Things went smoothly for 2 months, when I looked through the old reviews of my novel. I got new hate comments and very low ratings. I tracked the profiles of haters and discovered that the haters were fans of Aggie's books and gave her long postive reviews and very high ratings. The haters' accounts were all connected one to another, and to Aggie's account, and one's name was Aggie's old name. I confronted her about it, and she said that I was paranoid and that I keep accusing her all the time, and that my book was probably lousy if I got such bad reviews. I am shattered. I don't know what's worse, that I lost a friend I trusted or that my book got unnecessary bad reviews because of all it. ;_; Can anyone encourage me? I feel really depressed.

LilGreenBird September 25th, 2017

I am so sorry to hear such a thing happened to you. Feeling both betrayed and criticised for your work can be really tough. I just want you to know that you do not deserve to be treated in such a way, and to remember you are worth more than that one friendship or some nasty reviews. You deserve respect like any other person.

silverMoment23 September 25th, 2017

So sorry about that, a friend's betrayal can be disheartening.

Not every one has a book with their name and Im super proud of you.

Dont worry about the bad reviews, read & try improving on the constructive ones and thrash out the rest.

You did great! 🤗👏

terrytee September 25th, 2017

It seems that you're having quite a problem with your book and also with your previously best friend. I can tell you're feeling quite upset about this. Nonetheless I'm really glad you're here to chat and you're actively looking for emotional support. How are you coping with this so far?