Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Do antidepressants work for you?

DepressiveDementor April 5th, 2016

They used to for me. Now I take drugs and painkillers like Tramadol to fuel me with energy to get out of bed every day.

AushaltenFrost April 5th, 2016

@DepressiveDementor Antidepressants have never really worked for me. What I do is work myself into an adrenaline rush for the whole day. Side effects are a massive crash at the end of the day and high blood pressure. I'm not addicted to my own adrenaline though, because I'd rather not do it.

Malapropp April 5th, 2016

I don't know if antidepressants themselves have ever helped me, but there has been times I have needed the hope they would help. It is very hard to say if there has been anything else than unpleasant restlessness, or other strange symptoms. Nowadays I don't eat medicines but instead I move, walk outside, take care I get enough sleep, read and fight against depressive thought patterns and try to live according my values. I know if I feel low it isn't the whole truth, but just this old habit of mine. But on the other hand I know a lot of people who have found the suitable and essentially helpful medicine/s for them.

April 5th, 2016

Antidepressants worked for me, but I don't want to lie and make someone hope so much, my 4th antidepressant helped. I'm still on antidepressants. Getting out of severe depression (my case) is severely hard. I'm not depressed anymore, but when I was depressed, depression took all the interests from me and they're still not back, I'm still not interesed in anything. It takes years to get better. That's why it's important to get meds on time before it becomes seriously bad.

Malapropp April 5th, 2016

There is (at least one) another thread about this same subject. I dont know how to link or whatever but it is in this depression community, under the Depression category, if that that helps at all...Maybe somebody could give better instructions. I think the general answer on that thread was, that people thought antidepressants had significantly helped them.

Reforged April 8th, 2016

@DepressiveDementor Antidepressants treat the symptoms for my depression very well, but thinking of them as a cure can be detremental.

In my particular case it tones my depression down to a level at which I can function normally, whereas typically it was too severe for me to interract with others in a healthy way.

While antidepressants can help, it is sometimes a trial-and-error experience where you might end up taking multiple different medications before finding one that works. This is due to the fact that it's difficult to externally diagnose the chemical processes relating to your exact form of depression. There are multiple different neurochemcial mechanisms and chemicals that could influence the way your exact depression happens.

One thing to keep in mind during this time is to remember that it's often extremely important to take the medication at roughly the same time each day. If you feel uncomfortable symptoms while taking the medication, please contact a medical professional as soon as possible.