Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Starting therapy soon, any tips?

courteousOcean9942 March 10th

I’m pretty sure I have depression and anxiety and lately a lot has been going wrong in my life and I’m just now able to get a therapist. I want to become a better person through therapy, but I don’t know where to start. I hate talking to strangers so I’m very nervous, I also just have no clue how therapy works so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

toughTiger6481 March 10th

@courteousOcean9942

It is different with each therapist and some it is harder the others ...

i found just getting to the things that bother you and talk like they are a new friend who wants to get to know you except instead of trying to sugar coat anything or making it sound better you tell the whole unfiltered truth....

some IMO try to make you go on and on last person i saw i did not make a second appointment because they were wanting me to take so much time  chatting about stuff that had nothing to do with reason i sought out help.............seemed like she planned many many visits and i wanted help now not six months down the road. and lots of money to get to the basic issues i sought help for 

If you do not click of feel ok with you may need to find one you feel you can open up to .... 

PineTreeTree March 10th

@courteousOcean9942 Is natural to be nervous. Your therapist will likely make you feel relaxed. You don’t have to rush things though. The first session is more about easing into this new experience, just as you might enter a swimming pool by first dipping your toes in to get a feel for the temperature. After a few sessions you might evaluate if this is the right therapist for you. I hope you come back and tell us how therapy is going for you. Bring a full transcript of everything both you and the therapist said and share it with us - LOL just kidding! I hope your first session is comfortable and helpful.