Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you talk about depression to your surroundings?

Suen00 April 7th

Hi everyone, 

Depression still seems to be a bit of a tabu topic in many social groups and when these are quite immediate environments and you've had depression all your life it makes you feel unsupported and disconnected from the people you love the most. 

Whenever they shoot minimizing comments on depression, as if it was a condition that didn't exist or an excuse to not do what you're supposed to do... in front of me... I go small, try to remain unseen and hope they forgot that time I told them I had depression for a very long time and needed to take medication also for a long time (it's hard to believe someone would forget I said that...). If they remembered and stop pretending it didn't happen, that would mean all these unfounded criticism would be directed towards me. So I'd rather think and act as if they didn't remember and stay hidden, as always.

Needless to say that doesn't contribute to my mental wellbeing.

How can someone break this mental cycle and express themselves without creating conflict and direct confrontation with the ones that you love but are quite ignorant to the world's reality and how bad this makes us feel and hinders our personal progress?

What do people in this group think?

Did anyone experience (a) similar situation(s)?

😊

Mya000 April 22nd

@Suen00 It's really tough when depression isn't understood or acknowledged by those closest to us. Your feelings are valid, and it's understandable that you'd feel unsupported and disconnected in such situations. It takes a lot of courage to open up about mental health struggles, and it's disappointing when others don't respond with the empathy and support we need and deserve. If you're comfortable, perhaps gently educating your loved ones about depression could help bridge the gap in understanding. Remember you're not alone in facing these challenges, and there are people here who understand what you're going through. Take care 💚

Suen00 OP May 29th

Thank you for your kindnword @Mya00!

I need to figure out what gentle educating your loved ones means in practice... Any examples?