Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Has anyone been diagnosed for Maladaptive Daydreaming?

tae0was0here August 8th, 2023

Hey, so sorry for the random question but I was wondering

I tick of majority if not all of the symptoms of Maladaptive daydreaming but apparently its not diagnosable but I really need help on this.

Thank you

MeaningfulSilence August 8th, 2023

@tae0was0here

Hello there, how are you? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Maladaptive Daydreaming is not a recognized mental health disorder at this time.

We can see what you are struggling with together ๐Ÿ’œ

What exactly is worrying you about it? What are your thoughts and your difficulties?

Take care!

tae0was0here OP August 8th, 2023

Well tbh I dont mind it in fact I enjoy it and would literally fo it forever but I hate how it's affecting my studying and how I isolate from my family.

MeaningfulSilence August 8th, 2023

@tae0was0here

Hi there!

Sorry it has some negative impact on your daily life. If you cannot control it despite being aware of its negative impact (your studies and isolation) maybe it'd be important to also seek a therapist's support in order to check what's going on and be helped to find ways to cope with it.

Would it be possible for you to find a professional? Maybe there is a support in your school to refer to?

hmm I'm going to ask my GP.

TiaRIFFIC August 8th, 2023

Hi there @tae0was0here, thanks for opening up about your experience. My understanding is limited, but I'm familiar with maladaptive daydreaming as a coping strategy more than an established diagnosis. However, I know diagnostic guidelines are constantly evolving, and others may have different experiences, which are completely valid.

Our coping strategies and processing skills can shed light on our mental health-- for example how restlessness or lack of energy may warrant additional reflection on one's state of mental wellness. Since maladaptive daydreaming is a form of coping with high stress, it can be related to mental health in more ways than one.

This seems like a great topic to discuss with your healthcare provider. In the forum, our understanding of both maladaptive dreaming and your unique situation is limited, and I want to honor you and my role as a listener. Connecting with your healthcare provider may help you gain the insight you're looking for.

How do I bring it up? What do I say?

I've heard there's a 16 question assessment that was made by Dr Eli Somer.

TiaRIFFIC August 9th, 2023

@tae0was0here It's helpful to start these discussions with curiosity. What do you think about just asking them to tell you more about maladaptive daydreaming and asking for their insight on specific criteria and therapeutic options?

tae0was0here OP August 9th, 2023

oooh that's a good idea. thanks you<3

TiaRIFFIC August 10th, 2023

@tae0was0here I'm glad to help! Wishing you all the best when you talk with them about it!