Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anxious for the new year

indigoOrange9898 January 7th, 2023

Last year was actually good compared to how it looked like in 2021, even tho I quit studying. I have a perspective now, a well paid part time job and an paid internship in a great IT company. Life is getting more serious and that's what is so scary to me. I'm an Adult with ADHD and yet I still can't put myself together to study more for my internship. I'll struggle if I'm not making more effort, but somehow I can't focus enough.

What if I'm simply not smart enough? If I'm too lazy? Why can't I just sit like a normal person and focus on studying for hours? I'm afraid that my Boss will think I'm not good enough or too lazy. I'm glad my supervisors see my potential, but how long can I keep this up before I'm becoming a burden, because I'm not making enough effort?

This year didn't start great, I had no expectations and it's already below that...

sunnyWriting4806 January 7th, 2023

@indigoOrange9898

hey there, I'm glad that your 2022 was able to go as great as it did. I understand that 2023 might bring a lot of questions related to your job and especially moving into full-time employment and those questions can make things difficult. Just wanted to encourage you that its only Jan and there's so many months left, sometimes just letting time play out can be the best thing to dispel our worries. I'm hoping and rooting for the best regardless!

bestVase7265 January 8th, 2023

Keep reminding yourself that you are in a better spot. A good 2022 is a victory.

I know how bad those voices in your head can be. But they are lying to you. You are good enough for this to work just fine. You ARE making the effort. Your effort just looks different.

ADHD doesn't mean that you can't handle the task in front of you. You don't have to be perfect. All you have to do is try.

It is a condition that may keep things from running completely smoothly, but it also gives you insights that other people don't get. @indigoOrange9898