Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Will I get better

courteousOcean9942 February 1st

This is probably stupid but I’ve lately come to terms with some toxic behavior I’ve exhibited. I’ve had horrible falling outs with people and I only recently realized what I was doing wrong. I was being mean, insensitive, manipulative, and more. In general it was a bunch of really self destructive behavior. I know it’s insane to say I didn’t realize what I was doing wrong but to put it simply, I’m very much a product of how I was raised. I’ve been acting just like a few negative influences in my life and I had no clue they were bad influences and were treating me bad because I had just accepted it as normal. Well now that I’ve had people point out to me everything, I want nothing more than to become a better person. Now that I know what I’ve done wrong I know what to work on, I’m even trying to get professional help for it all. However, I keep seeing people talk about how people never change and no one is deserving of redemption. I’ve seen tons of posts saying that no one changes and everyone who has done wrong deserves to suffer for the rest of their life. I feel so horrible and now I feel like I can’t get better. 

courteousOcean9942 OP February 1st
I want to be better I want to be better than the people who’ve hurt me but I feel so discouraged. Now I feel like the best thing I can do is just give up completely. I’ve been depressed my whole life (it runs in my family) and I’ve been bullied both outside and inside my home and now that I’ve become no better than the people who’ve hurt me and everyone is saying I won’t ever get better, I just don’t know what to do. 
February 1st

@courteousOcean9942

”… people talk about how people never change and no one is deserving of redemption.”

I might guess from your word choice (deserving of redemption) that perhaps this thinking is coming out of some religious context perhaps?

We are shaped by the experience of our past without our consent. Of course if you chose to be born into your family, then yeah you deserve it (just kidding). 

People never change? That’s a depressing thought. It’s also really inaccurate. The past does have some effect on us but our actions today are what count more. You have the desire to change! Therapy can be really helpful with that. 

Everything in the universe changes constantly. Every breath you take is a change. Your thoughts and emotions are also in a constant state of change. 

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy was really helpful for me to make changes. So yeah,  I totally disagree with the notion than people never change. Don’t let people discourage you on your path to personal change. 

courteousOcean9942 OP February 1st

@FlatenedByLife thank you, I really needed to hear that. I’m on a waiting list to get a therapist, so hopefully I can start soon.