Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I grew up loving art but I didn't practise much

Prxcious0angxl09 April 27th, 2021

I love art and I've been into watercolour painting I've heard alot of great things about it such as how it's very therapeutic. But I don't know how to learn or how to free my mind while painting. I try copying a picture and I get frustrated not getting it right. Any artists here who can provide me with tips on how to stay calm while doing art and mainly just focusing on the bigger picture instead of getting frustrated with imperfections and giving up. Because art means alot to me but I've always seemed to give up when I try to practise.

bestWater4999 April 27th, 2021

I love watercolor! The best advice I can give you is that you are unable to succeed until you fail. As an artist, you will always find imperfections in your art. The only thing you can do is to continue practicing, try a small painting once a day or week. Instead of focusing on what you messed up on find one thing you like. Try to come up with a creative solution to fix your mistake or try to embrace it. Keep a calm atmosphere while you paint, play some classical music or lofi tunes. Remember it’s supposed to be something you enjoy. Have fun and good luck! I’m sure your art will be amazing! ♥️

Prxcious0angxl09 OP April 27th, 2021

Thank you very much! You've just motivated me to start after a whole year with no painting I appreciate it thanks again❤

persistentLand3213 July 4th, 2021

I too wanna give it a try.

CatsDogs September 18th, 2021

Hey! (:

Im not a watercolour artist, but I started drawing in general again and because I wanted to learn it right I learn with "Draw a Box" - its a free learning website and its not for everyone but in Lesson 0 from this course it says something really important that might help you.

Ill quote it for you:

"We can learn to enjoy drawing again, but its not an easy thing to do. It requires us to shift our focus from the result to the experience - to truely accept that when you say "I can't draw that", what you really mean is "I can't draw that well". There is absolutely nothing wrong with drawing badly. If you're afraid the thing you want to draw is out of your reach, draw it anyway. Even if - and especially if - you hate how it comes out.

The most important point I can make here is: Doing somethig badly does not define who you are. It doesn't say anything about you as a person, and it is not the basis upon which you can reasonably be judged"

I hope its okay to write that much from this website but Ill link it for you too (:

https://drawabox.com/