Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Anyone know anything about Honduras??

mjiyn2010 September 27th, 2015

I'm currently living in Honduras and I find myself in need of professional help to deal with my depression and self harm issues. In order to get in touch with a doctor, I'm going to have to tell my boss what's going on so she can help me find someone. I'm very nervous because I don't know what the general feeling of the people is regarding mental illness. Back home in the states, people are slowly becoming more aware and the stigma is slowly being dropped. I have a sneaking suspicion that isn't the case here though.

trappedinabox80 September 27th, 2015

My husband is from honduras. Ppl there are very welcoming but I notice when it come to mental issues such as depression and such they tend to think it something you need to deal with in private. Which I totally disagree with. Also religion seems to be a big factor in dealing with these issues with fellow Hondurans. Healthcare is very hard to come by in honduras and you need to pay ahead to even be treated. What part of honduras, if yOu don't mind me asking.

mjiyn2010 OP September 27th, 2015

I'm in the Copán Ruinas area. I figured this was going to be a bit of a struggle. I really don't want my boss to think of me any differently or think that maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to have me back next year or something because of this.

Is your boss Honduran? Does your work offer any type of healthcare that includes what you are going thur?

Yes, she is Honduran. And I'm really not sure. Initially, coming into this, I was under the impression that they did provide at least some kind of health insurance while I'm here...but nothing has been said about it at all. Communication is kind of terrible with almost everything.

I totally understand the communication issue. I would check about the healthcare, cause honduras is bad on medical issues. If your not ready to tell her, I would ask her something like a checkup or that you are having female issues to see what your scope of healthcare is. Is there maybe another coworker who is from states you could talk too?

That's a great idea to find out more about what my health coverage may be. I'll have to find some time to ask.

As for coworkers to talk to, there are a few other teachers form the states here, but not anyone that I feel comfortable talking about such things with. I'm not a big talker anyway and even less so when it comes to talking about myself.

Well hope it's all works out for you. I'm here if you need a ear to listen. Have a good night.

Thank you so much for your help! You have a good night, as well.

astm September 27th, 2015

Maybe try talking to a Listener from Honduras? Link

Good luck!

Excellent idea! Thank you!

kmichm August 11th, 2016

Hi! I am living in Honduras as well. Let me know what ended up happening! I am looking into therapy or something here as well, but mine is more so for anxiety and OCD.