Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Language learner

Smily1225 June 8th, 2021

Hello! One of my hobbies is language learning. I'm happy that there is a community dedicated to languages. It's a small percentage of us who are really into it but it's nice to have a place to connect with others also interested in languages 😁. I am a native English speaker and I also speak Spanish, some French and some Portuguese. My most recent endeavors are Japanese and Korean.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou June 8th, 2021

Hey @Smily1225 , welcome to the community , glad you liked having the opportunity to connect with other people interested in learning languages ❤
Also yay, those are some amazing languages to learn , how do you go about learning these ?
any tips to spare ?😄

Smily1225 OP June 9th, 2021

Hey @Sunisshiningandsoareyou! Thank you for the warm welcome! 😁 In terms of language learning, I do/have done a combination of coursework and self study. I like to take language classes when I have the opportunity, but I also do a lot of self study. I usually learn the writing system first, depending on the language, but I find that if I can pronounce the words, it makes it easier for me to remember new vocabulary. I also do a lot of listening practice in the form of random videos on YouTube and music. It helps me to remember words and sentence patterns. Grammar study is helpful as well and there are many apps for language learning, as well as apps where you can connect with native speakers.

althu97 July 17th, 2021

i’m a native portuguese speaker, and i know some spanish too if you still wanna chat!!

Smily1225 OP January 12th, 2022

Olá tudo bem?

Um prazer conhecê-lo. Eu espero que você esteja bem.

quiteriver678 July 18th, 2021

First hi 👋👋 Second : I just get distracted by alot of sources to learn .. can't decide which one is more useful and helpul so any recommendations???

lightpinksky December 14th, 2021

I feel this way too! Whenever I want to start studying a new language, the first thing I’d do is find resources; but then there are too many sources and that makes me feel overwhelmed. In the end, I don’t even start or make progress 😅

I think finding what works best for you is a great start. My preferred learning style is auditory so I enjoy watching/listening to YouTube videos or podcasts where they teach the language or just speak it. It's a nice substitute for immersion if it's difficult to surround yourself in the language. I've found that apps do not work very well for me. I'll use them but I don't expect to get very far with them. I also like learning with a teacher in a class because of the full involvement.

zeddy100 December 13th, 2021

A great introductory course to the world of online teaching, learning , therapy support. A wonderful experience and a handy course, I am overwhelmed by the amazing amount of resources used by each tutors .This tutor provides me the information about various online tools, strategies and planning for the best techniques for online courses I am extremely happy about that. Thanks to https://livexp.com ,I highly recommend if you are looking private online tutors, and I would like to enroll in it again.

zeddy100 December 13th, 2021

A great introductory course to the world of online teaching, learning , therapy support. A wonderful experience and a handy course, I am overwhelmed by the amazing amount of resources used by each tutors .This tutor provides me the information about various online tools, strategies and planning for the best techniques for online courses I am extremely happy about that. Thanks to <a href="https://livexp.com">https://livexp.com</a> ,I highly recommend if you are looking private online tutors, and I would like to enroll in it again.

I actually prefer italki for private teachers/tutors for language learning. There are so many to choose from and the cost is really affordable. There is also no commitment to stick with the same teacher/tutor so you can try different ones and find one that you like best.

Also I'm a bit skeptical of clicking on links so I will not be providing any, however I encourage people to do their own research.

agreeableBlueberry7426 January 12th, 2022

Hello to you I am also a language learner. I am fluent in English and I am learning German and japanese. I also want to learn French.

I'm getting back in Japanese. I'm a student and I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to learning it but it's one of my goals.

How far have you gotten in your German and Japanese studies?

agreeableBlueberry7426 January 13th, 2022

I am still a beginner but I am determined to learn the language

agreeableBlueberry7426 January 13th, 2022

Can you give me some advice on German or japanese ?

Smily1225 OP January 22nd, 2022

I have found many free resources for learning Japanese. There is a YouTube channel called Japanese Ammo with Misa. Misa sensei explains different grammar topics and give a lot of examples. I really like her channel.

For practice with reading hiragana and katakana, I recommend writing words/sentences. I would watch Japanese Ammo videos or Cure Dolly videos (another YouTube channel that teaches Japanese grammar) and I would write down the examples sentences and the grammar points. Eventually I improved my ability to recognize the kana, as well as write them from memory.

If you have Disney+ or Netflix, you can change the language so that the movies and TV shows will be dubbed. Disney+ has this feature built in, so if you start any Walt Disney Animation Studios or more recent Disney movie or show, it will have many language options available. Pixar, Nat Geo, Marvel, and Star Wars don't seem to have this feature yet on most of their content. In Netflix, you can add languages in Settings and it may give you the option to switch languages for certain movies and shows. I think it's great practice and fun because you can watch what you want while listening to your target language.

Podcasts are great for listening practice as well. There are many free podcast series. Nihongo con Teppei is great for beginners. I like Learn Japanese with Noriko. Both of these can be found on YouTube or others podcast apps. I'm not familiar with any German podcast series but you could search for something on YouTube.

italki is great for practicing speaking and for finding teachers. It is not free but it can be very affordable. Many teachers offer 60 minute lessons for $10-15 dollars. There is also no commitment to stick with the same teacher. You can choose to schedule one lesson with a teacher and never schedule any more lessons with that teacher. There are so many teachers to choose from so you are sure to find one that will fit your needs.

Tania8909 January 25th, 2022

Olá, o meu nome é Tanya

Sou Portuguesa mas não sou fluente em inglês ainda,

espero-vos bem :)