Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What about catalan?

Politonno January 2nd

I am from Catalonia, a region in Spain known for its own language, catalan, which is my first language. Catalan language is spoken in some places called the "Catalan Lands", including 4 different countries: Catalonia, Valencia, Aragon and the Balearic Islands (Spain), the whole of Andorra, the Atlantic Pyrenees department, called "Rosselló" (France) and the city of Alguer in the italian island of Sardinia.

Barcelona, located in Catalonia, has a lot of history, art and international importance, so you may think that catalan language has some importance here. That's very far from reality. Spanish, as a globally dominant language, is largely spoken in Barcelona and catalan is left aside because it's less important in the practical aspect. This makes many people not to want to learn catalan nor speak it, because "we already understand them".

This makes me very uncomfortable because at University, with many people around Spain coming here do not see a need of learning catalan (even though there are organizations and communities about linguistic respect about catalan, and the lessons in my career classes are done in catalan), and many other say the same: it's not needed to learn catalan because in Spanish "we already undedstand them", and because we are bilignual, we must use spanish to communicate with those people.

This is exhausting and depressing for me, less than 40% of Catalonian population speaks catalan as the main language. I feel isolated in some of the urbanized regions of Catalonia, where young people don't speak catalan anymore. There's a social mechanics that happens when a person in a group speaks only spanish for comfortable reasons, despite having perfect knowledge of catalan, and then the other people speaks spanish too as a reflect unvoluntary act. Also because you can't know if someone knows catalan or not if they're speaking constantly in spanish, amd then I can't express myself in my own language.

That's incredibly sad for me and makes me feel more depressed than I am, because I don't see any significant support for my own language even in my own community.

Politonno OP January 2nd

Have to add that the act of supporting the use of catalan tends to be charged with prejudices to certain ideologies and political parties. Catalan language is not an historically minority language, more than 9 million people speak catalan and historical events such as Franco's repressive dictatorship between 1939 and 1975 and the Spanish Empire between the 15th and 19th centuries. Catalan language has seen demographic decrease in the last decades. It's a language with no value despite the effect on the mental health of its native speakers