Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Prompt Of The Week: How did you show kindness to someone else?

blindDaisy9121 January 20th

Hello, writing community!

I hope you have been well! Welcome back to the writing series, where I present you with writing prompts to exercise your creative muscles every week! If you haven't checked out the previous posts of the series, I've got you! You can find it here

Without further delay, here is the prompt for today:

How did you show kindness to someone else?  

image_1705754423.png

What will you be doing? Good question! You'll be replying to my post with your original 

1. poems

2. prose (long or short)

As of now, the word limit is a maximum of 500 words. 

Happy writing! And do tag some friends if you think they might be interested in this activity! If you have any questions about the series or want to submit a prompt, then please feel free to message: @Clarisse29

If you're interested in being tagged every time a new post is made to the series, reply to this post with "I want to be tagged for more prompts". Thank you!

_________

Before you go! 

Did you know about CDM? It is the Content Development and Marketing Program which is offered for free by the 7 Cups Academy! It teaches you the essentials of developing content and marketing it so that it is more visible on the internet with a specific focus on mental health! At the completion of this program, you earn a free certificate from the Academy which you can use to further your professional growth! Find out more here. 

Taglist: @OuiCherie @SoulfullyAButterfly @niens @azuladragon34 @Izzy274 @jersey123456 @usefulsummer3139 @TilXC @KindLemonade @ThoughtfulBlossom @Sugarlife24 @AuroraBriarRose @Torean @TryingTBH2021 @babydino69 @chaoscookie22 @Cuposad076 @Elise849 @TheJenInBlack @AnnaJ718 @RideARainbow @ImaginativeThinker8574 @Aikyaa01 @HopieRemi @NCG2237  @seashell145 @InvaderStitch @blueAngel00 @WharfRat @mysteriousClover @neverendingRainbow489 @LonleyCheese @lyricalAngel70 @discreetSugar176 @Dallady  @TheGoodFairy @Shawdios @CalmCoral @CatwomenSoulstealer @adaptableOcean4193 @Barltik2065 @CompassionateOak202@LoveMyMoonflowers

Clarisse29 January 20th

@blindDaisy9121

thank you for posting! 

MidwesternCalmSeeker January 20th

The need was large. The ask was small. Coffee. A listening ear. A bit of small talk. The mood lifted like a sunrise, and the smile returned. These are moments to cherish. 

SilverSeastar January 20th

This is beautiful and inspiring, @MidwesternCalmSeeker 💙 Thank you for sharing!

blindDaisy9121 OP January 27th

@MidwesternCalmSeeker

So sweet!! 😊

Torean January 20th

@blindDaisy9121

Retail, even at a cool store isn't a fun job.  (Seriously)

At the time, I kind of hated everyone needing my attention. (Because it was probably over something stupid.)

This guy brought an entire entourage for his birthday, stack of DVD movies to rent. (Apparently having a movie marathon with too many friends.)

He handed me his ID with a dismissive smile, saying to put it on his mom's account, apparently too busy with his royal subjects surrounding him. (Ugh, one of those... Is he even listed on it?)

He was listed on it, but it had a sizable late fee balance, and in all caps it said DO NOT LET HIM RENT.  (I did not feel like dealing with this...)

I let him know what it said, he looked shocked and angry, and I asked if any of his friends could rent.  No one stepped up because they were all 17 or so. (Look, I *really* didn't care if the corporation decided if they're old enough or not, but I wasn't going to get in trouble over it.)

Then again, I noticed something on his ID... He'd just turned 18 that very day.  His birthday... Right. Gave me an idea.  I just pretended that I was trying to find an alternate account while I was secretly setting one up for him.  (The longer this went on, he was getting angrier and angrier, and I was taking my time filling out info that I didn't even need tool, totally poker faced.)

It worked a little too well, and he started yelling and throwing an absolute fit.  I just smiled and said he couldn't rent off his mom's one more time, opened my drawer to get a membership card to give back with his ID, telling him "However, you can rent off your own account as of today, happy birthday!".  He went dumbfounded.  All his friends were laughing and making fun of him now, and I just smiled disarmingly.  He decided to be a good sport and start laughing about it too, he thanked me, and we got through the transaction. (I mean, I didn't have to honestly, he wasn't being very nice).

You know what though?  It was worth it.  Sometimes you've gotta have a sense of humor, and I think it honestly came from a kinder and more sincere place to prank him a little and do it that way, than to announce what I could do from the get-go.  (Overall, it's not the kindest thing I've ever done or anything, but I think sometimes it's better to be yourself and don't make yourself too vulnerable when you do something nice.  I feel like a lot of my kindnesses have darkened my faith in people, but a little humor turned this one into something better.)

@Torean

It was a cute and unique way though!!😍

WharfRat January 21st

How did you show kindness to someone else?

This isn't much, but I was able to do something for someone.  It was a week ago yesterday.  The weather was supposed to be bad, with a big snowstorm in the forecast.  The storm really didn't happen.  There were maybe two inches of snow over the course of the day and night..  The wind was the biggest problem, blowing snow all over. 

My mom didn't want me coming to her house because of the weather, but I got restless after sitting inside all day.  I drove over to a pizza place not too far from my house and ordered a pizza.  I sat down to wait for it.  There was an older man sitting there waiting for his order.  He had a cane.  When his order came up, I saw it was a few things, wrapped separately.  His hands were full, so I got up and held the door open for him.  There are two doors into the place, and I opened each one, so he could carry his stuff out.  I was glad I could help.

@WharfRat

That's nice!! Even a small act of kindness can create a difference💓