Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Overwhelmed at work all the time

friendlyChestnut3812 August 9th, 2023

Hi everyone! This is my first post and looking for some advice. I’ve been working at my company for almost 10 years and currently am a manager. I’ve been experiencing higher levels of stress for the past year because of the increased workload. I’ve had to help with some tasks myself plus lead and work extra hours, since my team is understaffed (we’re in a hiring freeze so getting a new person isn’t an option). Lately it’s been getting to the point where I’m feeling burned out all the time, cry at least once a week at work and struggle to relax when I’m not working. On top of it, my job wants to me to study and get certifications in my free time since I don’t have time during work hours. I used to love work but now it’s something I dread. I generally don’t feel excited for much anymore. How can I can help myself and my family?

CalmRosebud August 9th, 2023

@friendlyChestnut3812

It sounds like you're going through a challenging time, and it's understandable to feel overwhelmed and burnt out. It's important to prioritize your mental and physical health in this situation, as well as manage your workload and responsibilities. Here are some steps you can take to help yourself and your family:

♥️🦁 Set boundaries: You mentioned that you've been working extra hours and doing tasks yourself. It's essential to set boundaries between work and personal life to prevent burnout. When you're off work, try to distance yourself from work-related tasks and focus on self-care activities.

♥️🦁 Communicate with your supervisor: Have a conversation with your supervisor about the workload and stress you're experiencing. Share your concerns about feeling overwhelmed and the impact it's having on your mental and physical health. Consider discussing ways to share responsibilities with other team members, offload tasks, or request additional support to help manage your workload.

♥️🦁 Practice self-care: Take time for yourself to unwind and recharge. This could include activities like exercising, meditating, spending time with friends and family, or engaging in hobbies. Make self-care a priority, even if it means letting some tasks slide at work.

♥️🦁 Seek support: Consider seeking support from a mental health professional or a therapist to help you manage stress and anxiety. They can provide coping strategies and tools to help you cope with the challenges you're facing.

♥️🦁 Consider a career change: If the stress and workload of your job continue to take a toll on your health and wellbeing, consider exploring other career options. It may be helpful to assess your skills and interests, and seek out new opportunities that align with your values and goals.

Remember that it's important to prioritize your own well-being and health, and to seek support when you need it. Your family and loved ones will benefit from seeing you happy and in good health. Take care of yourself, and remember that this is a difficult time, but you will get through it.

Love ♥️ and Courage 🦁, Tas

justmeandall August 17th, 2023

I feel a bit the same regards loss of motivation and lethargy, and such, started a new job in April and it was great, but the workload increased more quickly than I expected or thought it could, so now and struggling. Taking mental health help where I can including meds, which have helped me in the past. Do some talk therapy at a minimum, especially if you have never done so before, just give you a chance to blow it all off onto someone else if you don;t have someone at home or a friend to do so with, I have a friend or two that I can talk about these thigns with, but it's not the same having a "listener" or a therapist .

CyclingThroughLife August 18th, 2023

Please know that you are not alone. There are some of here for the same reasons. Please check out the work and career forums. There is some great advice and ideas over there. I came here for job related issues also. While I'm still working through them, 7cups has been great. Participating in the forums has helped me greatly. Sometimes just typing out your problems and even giving advice to others, no matter small, can be helpful in your own situation. Hang in there. I hope you get some answers here.

TinyViking August 20th, 2023

Legitimately in the same position. I totally relate and looking for the same guidance. What use to be so fun now feels burdensome. I’m rooting for you! Hopefully there are some folks with good ideas on what to do. My wife is telling me to move on but I’m torn because I’ve been with the company since it’s beginning. My boss is a brother to me, or at one point it certainly felt that way. Now that he’s bought the company over his expectations have accelerated. I can imagine how stressful it might be taking over a company but does it validate the way he treats me and other team members?

CuteJerry August 26th, 2023

Sailing in the same boat. Having been with the organisation for a decade now but can’t take the stress any longer. Have started taking medication but the stress keeps coming back. I don’t think it’s worth it to continue in such a job as it impacts physical and mental health.